Honored Contributor

Re: Family Member Phone Numbers

I know the phone numbers of all the family members I would need to contact.   

Regular Contributor

I rely on my phone too much
I seldom remember anybody's phone number.

I
Super Contributor

@Marp

Even though I have an iPhone I always try to dial the numbers when I can.. When I was working, I had to be in contact with several of our company's department heads & having to call them frequently I got used to remembering their phone numbers, instead of looking them up..

To this day, I still have that habit.. I also tell my children; don't rely too much on your phones.. Technology is wonderful; but, on the other hand, keep your brain active..

Esteemed Contributor

I know only two numbers by heart and that is only because, they were numbers that I use to dial before cell phones came out. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

No one's number.  You are so right, with cell phones, most of us don't memorize anyone's number.  There's no reason to.  My sister had such an experience.  She had a mild heart attack and when the ambulance came for her, she didn't think about her cell phone.  They took her to the nearest hospital where she had never been before so that hospital had no record for her and no contact info etc.  She was there for 24 hours and no one in the family knew.  The next day when she was feeling better, she called my brother at work to let him know what happened.  She called him at work because she could get his job number from 411.  

@chrystaltree

The last part of your statement would be me. I would be lost without my phone. 

Respected Contributor

I'd be in a world of hurt without my phone's memory.  I used to have a memory like a steel trap, but it's getting rusty.  Woman LOL

The funny thing is I can still remember the number of our first phone when I was a tot, my bff's first phone, phone numbers I had to call every day at business,  etc. because I didn't have electronics to rely on.   Now I'm  lazy and hit the call button.  Hanging my head in shame.

I do have a personal phone book on my desk that would be part of my survival kit.   

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Occasional Contributor

That’s a very important point. I would suggest that everyone should a have a diary with phone numbers of family members and close friends in purse or car. In case your phone breaks down or the battery is died or in any emergency, one can contact the family. I always carry such telephone diary in my handbag.

Esteemed Contributor

I know several family members' phone numbers, and some friends too.  Not all, but the most important ones.

My emergency contacts (my children) are listed in my phone under "ICE" (in case of emergency).  I also have their contact info listed on the Medical ID part of the Health app on my phone, which also includes blood type, meds, doctor's phone number, etc.

I keep a small card in my wallet that has all of that same info written out.

And at home I have a regular old address book, complete with names, addresses, and email addresses that I keep updated.

So I feel that I've pretty much covered all bases!  :-)

Frequent Contributor

My daughter's cell number has changed so many times that I have a difficult time remembering which one is current. I depend on my cell phone and on the gmail contact list link for phone numbers. I also have a Dropbox family address file with phone numbers, home and cell, addresses and email addresses for our large family that I can access when I have an internet connection.

I use a passcode on my phone, so although I have ICE information inside, it's not readlily accessable. I do have my husband's, son's and daughter's cell numbers scrolling on the lock screen of my phone, a Samsung Galaxy.

Honored Contributor

I have memorized many phone numbers that I need.