Honored Contributor

Re: Family Member Phone Numbers

@Wsmom wrote:

Even if I do know them by heart, which the immediate family I do, in a situation like that I think I would be so upset I would probably draw a complete blank.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading the posts.  Sure, people might remember numbers now but will they in a life threatening emergency?  Will they remember those numbers as they flee their burning homes or ride it out in flood driven waters?  

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

If you were in an emergency situation like the wildfires and did not have your cell phone how many family member phone numbers would you know by memory so you could contact them and let them know you are safe?

Listening to the reports from the California wildfires about people that cannot be located made me realize I have become so dependent on phone memory that phone numbers have been erased from my memory.  That lapse is being cured as I type.

My parents have had the same phone number since I was in kindergarten, so that one is easy. The area code has changed 3 times, but the core number has remained the same.

And since 

Trusted Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

If I couldn’t save any of my devices, I’d be in a world of hurt! I used to know my sister’s land line number by heart, but she got rid of it when she moved into her new home. Note to self - document family numbers in case of emergency. Thanks for the reminder!

I actually had a dream that my home was on fire. I grabbed my cats, purse, phone and tablet. Then realized I had time to go back for my laptop. Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Be sure to make a list of medications, too! I keep a current list in my purse at all times.

I also carry a copy of my DNR document in a pink envelope! The EMT's cannot miss that. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

My sister recently typed and emailed us all a list of everyone's phone numbers.  I printed out a few copies and have one in my wallet,  one in my glove compartment ...  and also have one on the fridge.  That should probably do it .... I think.

Respected Contributor

I don't know my family members phone numbers by heart. So, I have a written list of the numbers that I keep in my wallet.  

Esteemed Contributor

I know 3 but all I would need is to make contact with one and have that person spread the news. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have a cellphone. I have a small notebook in my purse where I keep all of my important numbers and passwords. If I need to make a phone call in an emergency situation, then I guess I would be SOL without a cellphone. I don't have any family members, just me. I'm a sole survivor.

Honored Contributor

@Marp  You are so right.  I use to know all my friends phone nos. by memory now I can think of only two.  Yes, I use the speed dial feature on my phone.  Luckily, I can still remember how to count back change instead of what people do today and just hand you your cash.  It is good to think to keep our brains active.  Reading, playing games on line or board games.  All of it is good.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I have a tiny little notebook with some basic information in it.

I keep it in my makeup bag in my handbag.   That's how small it is.

It has my banking information, credit card details and some phone numbers.

I had that moment a couple of years ago when we had the super outbreak of tornadoes.

The only phone number I know from memory is my kid's dad.

He's had his number for over 20 years.

I'd start with him and work from there, worse case.