Trusted Contributor

Losing a beloved pet and never getting another one?

Has anyone else been so heart broken over the loss of a pet that they never got another one?

Honored Contributor

Re: Losing a beloved pet and never getting another one?

We had 2 cocker spaniels which have been gone since 2000 & 2004. 

We never got another dog. Don't want to take them to the Vet to have them put down again. It's so hard to do.

Esteemed Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  For me, one let can't replace another.  You could adopt another let and give your love freely.  Your other fur baby will always be in your heart.  I hope you find what you're looking for.

Contributor

My heart is still so broken after having to make that decision for my beloved 10 year old Husky, Bandit on June 22nd that I still cry daily.  Still find myself wondering if we made the right decision.  I had to make that awful decision also on Jan. 23, 2014 for my big boy, Brock which also broke my heart and think of him all the time, but I still had Bandit to help me through that tough time.  I just don't think I can go through that again. 

Valued Contributor

@Sue98, Many, many years ago a German Shephard showed up in my yard.  She was exhausted, filthy and skinny.  My dog took an immediate shine to her.  I fed her, cleaned her up, put up posters, called local dog shelters, and advertised in our local Pennysaver looking for her owners.  I called our Animal Control Officer to be told if no one claimed her within 10 days she was mine if I wanted her.  Well, yes, I did want her.  After the 10 day period I took her to our Vet to find out she had heartworm and was pretty sick.  He recommended I turn her over to an animal shelter.  I asked, "what will they do?"  He said they'd put her down.  Well, that wasn't an option.  I had her treated for heartworm (which the Vet estimated she had for a few years) and a couple of thousand dollars later she was as well as she was going to get.  I had her for 5 1/2 years and she was the absolute love of my life.  She adored me and me her.  When she died I thought I'd never get over her, or go through that again.

Well six months after I lost her, I saw a picture of a dog on a bulletin board who had heartworm, was in desperate need of a good home and she was such a cute mutt, I had to have her.  She was only 1 1/2 old at the time and now 13 years later she's still with us and brings us joy and she loves us to pieces.   Shortly after adopting her my beloved MIL passed away and I 

took her dog too.  The two of them were best buds.  We lost him last year to kidney failure and it took my girl along time to get over his passing.

All I'll say is this, there are so many dogs out in the world in need of good dog parents and if we can provide those beautiful animals with good loving homes, we should.  Our hearts can hold love for each and every one of them as they, like people have their own personalities, quirks and traits to love them all.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I lost my Collie in 2006 and never got a dog after that.  I have 5 cats, but I just can't seem to offer another dog a home.  My Collie was the most beautiful girl.  She had gorgeous coloring  and was very loving. 

Trusted Contributor

I feel that way right now. My dear old cat Arrow died this past May and I so miss his companionship.   I cannot bring myself to take on another pet, risking similar investment in love and care and the inevitable future of parting company again.

I once had a great little cat some years ago, in my 20’s. When she died, I did not take on another cat for 6 years to get past the sadness.  Then I found the motivation to be a pet parent again. That was many years and many kitties ago.  I had somehow found  more flexibility and sturdiness in facing loss. 

I am now 70 and I know I could not bear the level of sadness I felt letting go of Arrow. As much as I would love the cuddle and interaction with another cat (or even a dog), I know I can’t bear the pain of worry in sickness and loss if it’s a decision to face. I avoid the very good a sweet pet could give me because of my utter dread of repeat intense grief shound I outlive another one. 

(I think your post would have been better placed in Pet Lovers, not Community Chat, for a more relevant group of responses. Just an opinion)

Honored Contributor

I've always had two or more pets at the same time.  If you lose one, it makes coping with the death much easier since you have another to love.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The last one I lost broke my heart, but he was a rescue and after a couple of months (he passed 2 days before Halloween), it occurred to me that he would want me to give another dog a forever home with treats and food and a good bed because he loved all those things. So I adopted Kevin and his sister, Lexi, loves him like she loved Ed. And it turns out that Kevin loves treats, healthy food and a good bed too.

Trusted Contributor

I lost my cat in a fire and I mourned for over a year, the i went to the nd animal shelter website and saw so many cats, I knew my heart was ready for another cat.  I got SOCKS and he is a joy.   Dolly the cat that died in the fire is my picture, I miss her still!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!