Esteemed Contributor

If you were in an emergency situation like the wildfires and did not have your cell phone how many family member phone numbers would you know by memory so you could contact them and let them know you are safe?

Listening to the reports from the California wildfires about people that cannot be located made me realize I have become so dependent on phone memory that phone numbers have been erased from my memory.  That lapse is being cured as I type.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Re: Family Member Phone Numbers

[ Edited ]

Zero.  I sometimes have a hard time remembering my own phone number!  It's a lost art, I believe. 

Just  thinking here, I wonder if you could notify the Red Cross and perhaps they have a list that could be checked if someone called looking for you.

Honored Contributor

None. Zip. Nada.

Excellent point.  Our entire world is wrapped around this little thing in our hands.

Honored Contributor

all of them. I know my mom all of my siblings, my daughters, and my aunts phone numbers, plus my pastor and assistant pastor.....

Honored Contributor

I still carry in my purse a mini address book that looks like it has been in a wildfire or at least big brawl.  Pull it out all the time for addresses but keep it updated for all family and friend contact info.  Love the size so I have had it for about 25 years.  Old school I know having that thing but it comes in handy.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I know them all.

Honored Contributor

No one's number.  You are so right, with cell phones, most of us don't memorize anyone's number.  There's no reason to.  My sister had such an experience.  She had a mild heart attack and when the ambulance came for her, she didn't think about her cell phone.  They took her to the nearest hospital where she had never been before so that hospital had no record for her and no contact info etc.  She was there for 24 hours and no one in the family knew.  The next day when she was feeling better, she called my brother at work to let him know what happened.  She called him at work because she could get his job number from 411.  

Respected Contributor

@Marp  I do know them and can still rattle them off.  

Resisted for ages having them stored in the cell phone's address book, but do have them there now.  Younger folks input them for me since I still have a flip phone.  Hard to type on that, but I never text and don't like being texted.  

I do keep a small address book in my purse with everything written out, including e-mail addresses.  Have an identical one stored in my home.

I've encountered younger adults--I'm in my sixties--that can't even recite their own number, or misquote a sibling's by a digit or two, which I nicely pointed out to one of my adult children, when she was helping me fill out a medical form.

I can still recite every phone number I've ever had since I was in first grade.  Not bragging--anything can happen-- but I certainly hope my memory stays good and that the "little gray cells" stay active and accurate.

Honored Contributor

I have to pull out my phone every time they need my emergency contact at the doctor's office.  And I still don't know how to look it up without accidentally calling them.  I am a mess with this tech stuff.  

Respected Contributor

Well, now you've got me thinking!  Maybe at the very least I could put a little emergency contact card in my wallet.  A couple years ago there was a push to have people designate an emergency contact in their cell phones by putting the initials *ICE* (In Case of Emergency) in front of your designated contact's name.