Honored Contributor

@LilacTreewrote:

@WenGirl42wrote:

@LilacTreewrote:

OK, so here's the reality for everyone.  I am not talking about FB or anything else on line.  I am talking about this forum.

We can't talk politics, religion, or controversial topics.  Add to that NO personal experiences, nothing about our daily lives, illnesses, interactions with others, photos . . . leaving only one thing we can discuss . . .

QVC PRODUCTS !!!

. . . which leaves me, for one, with absolutely nothing to write about!!  Might as well sink this ship!!

Nobody in this thread is telling you that you can't talk about personal experiences, etc.  They're just pointing out (correctly, IMO) that it doesn't make sense for someone who is wary of Facebook to post personal information here, when the information is not any safer...and may very well be less safe.

@WenGirl42

I would never put the info on FB that I discuss here.  I only have photos and short "Happy Birthdays" on FB and NOTHING in my profile, or whatever it's called, not even my birth date.  So I am not "wary" about FB.  I posted the warning more for everyone here, not myself.

I also didn't say people were telling me not to post personal information, I said if that was what the criteria is, I would have nothing to say at all.

And no one can convince me the thing that happened on FB could also happen here.  Nobody even knows about this forum.  Yes, it does go to Google and that ticked me off when I saw it.  QVC should have prevented that from happening.

@LilacTree... do you remember the art work you posted from your daughter. Posters were very upset because it lead directly to her Facebook Page.

I am not saying this should upset you but that is just how easy it is to forget that information from this forum is just as out there as Facebook.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

@LilacTreewrote:

OK, so here's the reality for everyone.  I am not talking about FB or anything else on line.  I am talking about this forum.

We can't talk politics, religion, or controversial topics.  Add to that NO personal experiences, nothing about our daily lives, illnesses, interactions with others, photos . . . leaving only one thing we can discuss . . .

QVC PRODUCTS !!!

. . . which leaves me, for one, with absolutely nothing to write about!!  Might as well sink this ship!!

I don't think anyone is saying that @LilacTree, that we should not talk about ourselves. What they are saying is that this forum is really no different than Facebook. A lot of us, myself included, share a great deal of our personal lives.

Over the years, I have seen every bit as much personal information shared here as I have on Facebook. There is really no need to fear Facebook.

@Trinity11

Trin, I will repeat it again . . . I don't fear Facebook.  I thought I was doing a public service for those who don't watch the news.  I have always been very careful what I post on FB, that is all I am saying.  That's not fear, that's just common sense.

Yes, I do say too much here sometimes and that has to stop.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTreewrote:

@JaneMarplewrote:

@OKPrincesswrote:

I belong to Facebook but very rarely get on it. I didn’t know Mark was in hiding but then again I don’t watch the news. 

He's not in hiding, that's an exaggeration.

@JaneMarple

His entire statement was read on CNN about an hour ago.  I'm sure it's printed in its entirety online by now.  He's still not showing his face.

@LilacTree

he is NOT in hiding......

Zuckerberg is also set to speak with CNN's Laurie Seegal in an interview to be broadcast on "Anderson Cooper 360" at 9 p.m. ET.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11wrote:

@LilacTreewrote:

@WenGirl42wrote:

@LilacTreewrote:

QVC PRODUCTS !!!

Nobody in this thread is telling you that you can't talk about personal experiences, etc.  They're just pointing out (correctly, IMO) that it doesn't make sense for someone who is wary of Facebook to post personal information here, when the information is not any safer...and may very well be less safe.

@WenGirl42

I would never put the info on FB that I discuss here.  I only have photos and short "Happy Birthdays" on FB and NOTHING in my profile, or whatever it's called, not even my birth date.  So I am not "wary" about FB.  I posted the warning more for everyone here, not myself.

I also didn't say people were telling me not to post personal information, I said if that was what the criteria is, I would have nothing to say at all.

And no one can convince me the thing that happened on FB could also happen here.  Nobody even knows about this forum.  Yes, it does go to Google and that ticked me off when I saw it.  QVC should have prevented that from happening.

@LilacTree... do you remember the art work you posted from your daughter. Posters were very upset because it lead directly to her Facebook Page.

I am not saying this should upset you but that is just how easy it is to forget that information from this forum is just as out there as Facebook.

@Trinity11

Yes, I do remember.  She was fine with it because she has a public website and gets business from it.  She wants it to be online.  One cannot get very far running a business if they don't want anyone looking at their website.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

@JaneMarplewrote:

@sunshine45wrote:

@JaneMarplewrote:

We can be tracked not only through fb but also out spending habits, shopper's discount cards and personal preferences. Don't blame fb for giving out personal information, we do it all day everyday. We don't know anyone's real name here on the forums but we tell enough about ourselves while posting to be on equal footing with fb. 

@JaneMarple

this is so true......

plus, even though WE dont expose our own names, qvc/liberty media has our name/address/phone numbers, credit card numbers, spending habits, and more......all that are linked to our user names. we dont know how much of THAT information is shared either

It really confuses me @sunshine45 the very people who don't like fb are posting their personal business here several times a week.

yup @JaneMarple......

home information

health issues

stuff about kids/grandkids/pets/neighbors

area information

telling everyone they own guns

very personal intimate issues

photos of home, selves, pets, grandkids

marital problems

the list goes on and on.....

That’s something that I don’t understand as well. I would never be so arrogant as to presume that anyone would be the least bit interested in being privy to all of that anyway. I’ll talk about things in general terms, but that’s it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I really am not afraid of what I say here. If someone wants to track me down, good luck to them. My last name is not something anyone would easily find ,and no one can pronounce the name of my town.  If they decide to forge my name ,they will have a heck of a time trying to spell it

I'm an old broad ,and am past scaring easily, my daughter is a policewoman, and carries a glock...Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@LilacTreewrote:

@Trinity11wrote:

@LilacTreewrote:

@WenGirl42wrote:

@LilacTreewrote:

QVC PRODUCTS !!!

@WenGirl42

@Trinity11

Yes, I do remember.  She was fine with it because she has a public website and gets business from it.  She wants it to be online.  One cannot get very far running a business if they don't want anyone looking at their website.

Yes @LilacTree but YOUR Facebook page was at risk. Your name was shared on the site. I will never forget that day while posting.

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincesswrote:

I belong to Facebook but very rarely get on it. I didn’t know Mark was in hiding but then again I don’t watch the news. 

@OKPrincess

They were saying that "tongue in cheek," and so was I.  He was trying to compose his statement and wanted it to be acceptable, I'm sure.  Unless it is proven that he was part of anything untoward, I have nothing against MZ.

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

@LilacTreewrote:

QVC PRODUCTS !!!

Oh, for goodness sake. It’s QVC’s forum. They get to decide what gets discussed and why wouldn’t a business want their forums to be focused on their products? 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

@LilacTreewrote:

@JaneMarplewrote:

@OKPrincesswrote:

He's not in hiding, that's an exaggeration.

@JaneMarple

His entire statement was read on CNN about an hour ago.  I'm sure it's printed in its entirety online by now.  He's still not showing his face.

@LilacTree

he is NOT in hiding......

Zuckerberg is also set to speak with CNN's Laurie Seegal in an interview to be broadcast on "Anderson Cooper 360" at 9 p.m. ET.

@sunshine45

I plan to watch.

Formerly Ford1224