Honored Contributor

@LilacTree

you can absolutely talk about anything personal you like to talk about. just remember, it isnt at all as "private" as you think it is. you have to use YOUR comfort level as to what you discuss and reveal......and just how much of a situation or life experience you want to talk about.

as said before by some, pretty much EVERYTHING going on in our lives is now mined, whether you feel it is "safe" or not.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42wrote:

@LilacTreewrote:

OK, so here's the reality for everyone.  I am not talking about FB or anything else on line.  I am talking about this forum.

We can't talk politics, religion, or controversial topics.  Add to that NO personal experiences, nothing about our daily lives, illnesses, interactions with others, photos . . . leaving only one thing we can discuss . . .

QVC PRODUCTS !!!

. . . which leaves me, for one, with absolutely nothing to write about!!  Might as well sink this ship!!

Nobody in this thread is telling you that you can't talk about personal experiences, etc.  They're just pointing out (correctly, IMO) that it doesn't make sense for someone who is wary of Facebook to post personal information here, when the information is not any safer...and may very well be less safe.

EXACTLY!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

TIME has run a story called You Want to Fix Facebook? That Will Cost You About $75 Per year.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarplewrote:

@OKPrincesswrote:

I belong to Facebook but very rarely get on it. I didn’t know Mark was in hiding but then again I don’t watch the news. 

He's not in hiding, that's an exaggeration.

@JaneMarple

His entire statement was read on CNN about an hour ago.  I'm sure it's printed in its entirety online by now.  He's still not showing his face.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Regular Contributor

Everyone just needs to be aware that even what you post here in this forum is available online.  For instance if you commented on a specific topic and someone googles that topic, your comments may come up as an option to read about that topic. NOTHING posted on the internet is private.  If you truly want to keep all of your thoughts and opinions and experiences private, stop typing.

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42wrote:

@LilacTreewrote:

OK, so here's the reality for everyone.  I am not talking about FB or anything else on line.  I am talking about this forum.

We can't talk politics, religion, or controversial topics.  Add to that NO personal experiences, nothing about our daily lives, illnesses, interactions with others, photos . . . leaving only one thing we can discuss . . .

QVC PRODUCTS !!!

. . . which leaves me, for one, with absolutely nothing to write about!!  Might as well sink this ship!!

Nobody in this thread is telling you that you can't talk about personal experiences, etc.  They're just pointing out (correctly, IMO) that it doesn't make sense for someone who is wary of Facebook to post personal information here, when the information is not any safer...and may very well be less safe.

@WenGirl42

I would never put the info on FB that I discuss here.  I only have photos and short "Happy Birthdays" on FB and NOTHING in my profile, or whatever it's called, not even my birth date.  So I am not "wary" about FB.  I posted the warning more for everyone here, not myself.

I also didn't say people were telling me not to post personal information, I said if that was what the criteria is, I would have nothing to say at all.

And no one can convince me the thing that happened on FB could also happen here.  Nobody even knows about this forum.  Yes, it does go to Google and that ticked me off when I saw it.  QVC should have prevented that from happening.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTreewrote:

QVC PRODUCTS !!!

I don't think anyone is saying that @LilacTree, that we should not talk about ourselves. What they are saying is that this forum is really no different than Facebook. A lot of us, myself included, share a great deal of our personal lives.

Over the years, I have seen every bit as much personal information shared here as I have on Facebook. There is really no need to fear Facebook.

Honored Contributor

@graciesmom1003wrote:

Everyone just needs to be aware that even what you post here in this forum is available online.  For instance if you commented on a specific topic and someone googles that topic, your comments may come up as an option to read about that topic. NOTHING posted on the internet is private.  If you truly want to keep all of your thoughts and opinions and experiences private, stop typing.

@graciesmom1003

BINGO!!!

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

@LilacTreewrote:

QVC PRODUCTS !!!

Funny, I thought we were talking about FB since it's the title of this thread.  

Sweeping that aside, I understand that politics and religion may not be discussed here for obvious reasons.  This company utilizes this forum for business/shopping purposes, ergo, they are "mining information too.  

However, I've read numerous posts about personal experiences, health (a separate forum),  daily lives, and a plethora of personal photographs to the point where TMI seems lost to some but they are still free to post them.  

I remember a time when coming here to post was a stress reliever, where we could laugh and joke and get relief from every-day pressures.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~