Honored Contributor

Re: Expecting severe weather overnight

Sorry to be so late checking in. Still don't have any power. They said they anticipate getting it back by Sunday at 11PM. Sunday. 

Yesterday the cell system was overloaded and I only had one bar of coverage most of the day.  Not strong enough to get on the internet.

I had a small roof leak in the two story great room...sigh... and the roofer came out late yesterday to look at it. They said the roof looks fine but they're sending their repair team out. Don't know when. 

as it's supposed to be cold tomorrow morning I'm am going to a hotel in a few minutes. My sister told me to come to her but I just want to be by myself in the quiet. My neighbor is going to call me if the power comes back on. 

it was a doozy of a storm. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Glad to hear you are Ok, thank you for letting us know.

Sorry about your roof, power, and cell.  It is a PITA, but YOU are

safe!  Hope you took some good books to read.  Stay safe & well.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I've been been wondering how you made out. The roof leak is a bummer but at least he responded quickly and hopefully the source of that problem is found and fixed just as quickly. And crossing fingers for you that your power comes on sooner than expected. Thank you for the update.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh, glad to know you are okay.  Sounds like a good plan to check into a hotel and not deal with being without power.  Sorry to hear about the roof leak, but at least it appears not to be a major problem ^^fingers crossed^^.  I hope you are able to get some rest and your power is restored well before the anticipated date/time. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

All checked in at the hotel. Lights, heat, internet connection, cable.  I may never leave.  

Wanted to add that since my power has been off for so long I'm going to have to great rid of the food in my refrigerator and freezer and start again.  The waste....and the expense....makes me sad.  I didn't have much in the refrigerator, but the freezer was full.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I'm checking into this thread late because we were hit head on by Zeta on Wednesday evening and everything has been down since then. NOLA area got the full effects of a high CAT 2 as Zeta came off the gulf and boy, do we have a lot of wind damage!  Can't get around my suburban neighborhood without zig-zagging from block to block because of all the downed trees blocking streets.  The great big oak in front of my house came down, fortunately falling away from the house. It took the street light with it.  

It was being reported that 70% of the population was without electricity this morning (24 hours later). Luckily, power on my block came back a little while ago.  We have a whole house generator, so we're in better shape than our neighbors. Yesterday my cell phone wasn't working ( Verizon) nor was our house phone & Internet, both AT&T.  Surprisingly, our TV service which relies on a dish on the roof has been fine all along. I expected that it would be the first to go.  Internet still a no go, but cell service I'd back, so I'm able to post.  

Glad to hear that none suffered any terrible consequences from Zeta. There were three deaths here associated with the hurricane. It's interesting that with COVID, civil unrest, and the election all in the news, a hurricane doesn't get as much coverage as they used to. We got walloped really bad, but it didn't get much news time. Such is 2020 I guess. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

All checked in at the hotel. Lights, heat, internet connection, cable.  I may never leave.  

Wanted to add that since my power has been off for so long I'm going to have to great rid of the food in my refrigerator and freezer and start again.  The waste....and the expense....makes me sad.  I didn't have much in the refrigerator, but the freezer was full.

You probably already know this @gidgetgh  but your homeowner's insurance should provide coverage for the food if you file a claim. I think I remember reading you had other damage. HTH😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt