Trusted Contributor

I liked the Paperwhite back in the day, but I haven't used it in years.  I don't want any entity tracking my reading, and they do emit radiation.  

The worst part of e readers is that they don't stimulate the brain like regular books. 

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

@dodies wrote:

Hi Tyak: another vote for Kindle. I have both the Paperwhite (love) and the Oasis (love love). While the Oasis is way more expensive, and I debated a long time before buying, I may b coming to like it even more than the Paperwhite. It is shaped like a regular book in that the lines of print are longer, it has a little “ledge” on the side that fits my fingers just right and it will reverse itself from hand to hand, if that males sense.😄. It lives in my purse while the Paperwhite lives at home. I usually read a regular book while also have one going on Kindle. Can’t help about the Nook but always hesitated because I think Amazon will be around longer than Barnes and Noble the way things seem headed. Good luck; it’s nice to have choices!

My first e-reader was a Nook but been buying Kindles ever since the Nook died.  I bought this Voyage about 3 years ago, they don't make them anymore and it's going kaput so it's time for another one.  My feelings are  somewhat the same about B&N going bye-bye soon so it's looking like a paperwhite for me.  The reviews complain about battery life not being the best on either one of them, which is why I posted here.  

Regular Contributor

After I posted I went to Amazon and looked through the reviews. See they have a next generation Oasis so the last generation is less expensive. It’s all so personal and I think you can’t go wrong with the Paperwhite. Sorry, but  post from blahblahvampeme or whatever, made no sense. Guess I’m not paranoid enough and can’t figure out how reading an actual book stimulates your brain more than reading on an e-reader. A book is a book, good one or bad one, and God bless them whatever the form!  Happy reading. Let us know?

Super Contributor

@Tyak  I love my Kindle Oasis! It’s not the newest one but the previous generation. It’s easy to hold one handed and I love the page turner buttons. Not crazy about using the touchscreen when turning the page. Too bad you missed out on Prime Day but you might be able to get something off if you turn in your old Kindle. They were offering a 25% discount if you were upgrading along with some off for a trade in. 

Valued Contributor

I'm thinking about purchasing a Kindle or ereader in addition to having an ipad.  I had read that the lighting on the ereaders is less apt to keep you up at night. 

Trusted Contributor

@Tyak 

Another vote for the Kindle!  I love my Paperwhite. So much better than reading on my iPad mini or any tablet. Much lighter, smaller and especially NO GLARE. You can read outside anywhere with a Kindle and you can't with an iPad or other tablet.

Trusted Contributor

@dodies wrote:

After I posted I went to Amazon and looked through the reviews. See they have a next generation Oasis so the last generation is less expensive. It’s all so personal and I think you can’t go wrong with the Paperwhite. Sorry, but  post from blahblahvampeme or whatever, made no sense. Guess I’m not paranoid enough and can’t figure out how reading an actual book stimulates your brain more than reading on an e-reader. A book is a book, good one or bad one, and God bless them whatever the form!  Happy reading. Let us know?

@dodies 

I can't figure that out either! 

Honored Contributor

@Tyak 

Voracious reader here!

Bought one of the first kindle readers, lasted for years, when it finally died bought a new one, I’m on #3, a paper white.  Love it!

*** Kindle v/s AirPad (Have Both)

- Kindle is lighter to hold, good for travel, reading on planes

- Does not emit blue light

- I can keep and share a huge book library w/o sharing access to my computer

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

Hi @TeriT: glad to hear another vote for the Oasis; there is a new 10th generation out, which is a larger screen, newer electro is, etc. Of COURSE I want one. It can’t really justify a trade-in when mines only a couple years ol😄. So I soothed myself with a new cover!   Am pretty sure when it comes time to replace the Paperwhite I’ll go with the Oasis. Just like having a wider screen. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I have a Samsung tablet and love it.  My husband who works in the field of designing computer chips and storage, has one as well.  He is very picky.  It is considered a nook.  There is an app that can be downloaded so as to read kindle books as well.  

While I prefer a real book, the e-reader is convenient for many uses.

Good luck with choosing.