Valued Contributor

Those who have stated that Comcast/Xfinity will not do anything to "retain" you if you try that avenue are absolutely right.

5 years ago when I got my Comcast bill for Internet and cable and it was going up to nearly 226.00 a month I snapped.  I called their retention people and they pretty much said take it or leave it.  I left it.

I went to YouTube TV and while in 5 years it has gone from $59 to $72 a month, and they (along with almost all the streaming services) dropped my Regional Sports Network (NESN), their channel offerings and unlimited and outstanding cloud-based DVR service is unparalleled as well as super easy to use and navigate.

I laugh every other week as Comcast/Xfinity now bombards me with mailings and the occasional door-to-door person with all kinds of "special offers" to come back.  The deals aren't anywhere as good as YouTube TV and after my glimpse into their customer service and 

never ending rate hikes I look forward to the day they join Blockbuster Video in the nation's memory bank.

Respected Contributor

@spumoni99 (ps. love your name, lol. My dad proposed to my mom by having her engagement ring served in the spumoni, at a fancy Italian restaurant, that they brought to her in a silver covered dessert dish. Smiley Happy

Anyhow...Yes, dumped cable myself a year ago. Never once regretted it, and wished I'd done it during the 2 years I contemplated it! My tv at the time was an 18 year old "un-smart" Sony Bravia. I replace it with a new Sony Bravia (LOVE it, how far the pictures have come), a Google tv, that I stream from. Also have a Roku. 

I'm still learning all I have (because I tend to watch Netflix and Hulu most), like where to get some live tv via Roku, and British stuff on Roku too I just found.

Good luck...it's easy to adjust!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Dumping Cable

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I get everything and more I need or want to watch on YouTubeTV, at a considerable savings over my previous satellite service.  There is a ton of content on demand if you can't find something live to watch.

I also subscribed to Peacock just to watch On Patrol Live.  After several good months, they stopped streaming it live which is deceptive.   There's nothing else there I care to watch so will be canceling it.

@Kachina624 you should be able to watch OPlive, live, if you have the Peacock premium for $5 or $6 a month. Premium Plus is $12 i think ( no ads). I dont mind ads, Otherwise yes the free version carries the series but not live. 

Respected Contributor

We cut the cord a few years ago and haven't looked back.  No regrets whatsoever.  

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@spumoni99 (ps. love your name, lol. My dad proposed to my mom by having her engagement ring served in the spumoni, at a fancy Italian restaurant, that they brought to her in a silver covered dessert dish. Smiley Happy

Anyhow...Yes, dumped cable myself a year ago. Never once regretted it, and wished I'd done it during the 2 years I contemplated it! My tv at the time was an 18 year old "un-smart" Sony Bravia. I replace it with a new Sony Bravia (LOVE it, how far the pictures have come), a Google tv, that I stream from. Also have a Roku. 

I'm still learning all I have (because I tend to watch Netflix and Hulu most), like where to get some live tv via Roku, and British stuff on Roku too I just found.

Good luck...it's easy to adjust!!

Awww sweet story about your parents.  My nickname is actually not after the ice cream, many years ago a student assistant at work gave me that nickname because she had trouble with my last name.  I do love spumoni ice cream though!

Regular Contributor

I have Spectrum cable & internet included in my monthly association fee at both of my places. It's at a significant discount from what I'd pay on my own, so I'm not complaining about the price. 

That said, both are pretty awful. If I were actually paying the normal, undiscounted, non-bulk rate, I'd cancel and look for a decent, reliable internet provider. 

I've had significant problems with the TV boxes at my primary residence in MI over the last 18 months. The last tech that came out said that within 5 years, there won't be any "cable TV", it will all be streaming.  

~Not a new poster, never been banned. Every time I take a break, I have to re-register for some reason~
Super Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ Great job getting the ball rolling to cut the cable bill! Glad to hear you are now on board with Amazon Prime Video. I use the Amazon Prime Music channel a good bit which comes with the $139 membership package too. Needless to say, the Amazon vans keep real busy in my neighborhood and I appreciate the to my door service as I age in place so to speak.

I wanted to mentioned using a $30 Amazon Firestick (purchased years ago with the Q) with my TV. I can not only download apps (like PBS, Kanopy, etc.) but get QVC2, QVC3, HSN, HSN2 and all kinds of Q & HSN streaming content. The Q movies (Holly Hot Chocolate & The Recipe Files) too. 

When a show I wanted to watch popped up as being on FreeVee while scrolling Amazon Prime Video (Tea with Dames starring Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Eileen Atkins, and Joan Plowright), the FreeVee app just downloaded to the Amazon Firestick. Only had to watch two commericals during the FreeVee stream. 

I think once you start searching around various avenues, you'll be surprised at the free content available. Best Wishes!

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@spumoni99 funny you should ask. I just started this ball rolling last weekend. ( sorry this is so long)

Google CNET compare channel line up. 

It will compare Hulu Youtube DirctTv Sling and one other i think.

Scroll down abd you will see the channels and check boxes under the different companies. I needed to see it side-by-side comparison and what channels at once. 

I never thought id give up Comcast/Xfinity but im sick of them raising rates, im sick of paying sports broadcadting fees, im sick of paying rental fees for equipment FOR YEARS.  Im sick of "updates" interrupting what im watching and im sick of theur arrogance that i have to beg for discounts. They used to be the only game in town.

Im going with Frontier fiber optic 1 Gig internet ( which youtubetv recommends to have) $54.99, free install, free equipment( they have a lower tier 500 mbps for 44.99, but again YouTubetv wont agree to install on that lower mode.

I pay $86 with Comcast internet for only 200 mbs PLUS modem/router rental $15. 00 a month! Thats $101! So i am getting 4x the speed for half the price with Frontier. My IT guy at work has Frontier at home. That is all i need to know. 

For streaming im going with YoutubeTv, it has almost every channel i want and more, including the local Tampa  news i watch ( but not the local yokel  Sarasota tv news i dont watch but if i want to i can go on my tablet to their website if i want to). Im going to finally have Turner Classic Movies back! Comcast put that on their Sports Tier a few years ago. I was so mad.

Youtube was running a special, $10 off a month of their $72.99 service, for a year, autopay ( which i did with comcast). My total after taxes etc.., internet and youtubetv through Frontier is going to be $129. My total this last payment with Comcast/Xfinity was $248 and that is with discounts applied!!!

Im probably going to add Peacock streaming for $5 because I do enjoy their on-demand offering and its become so robust.im keeping Netflix because of a few shows i cant do without.

I need to add that in all my research, Ive never explored Amazon Prime Video, which i get with my Amazon membership. Shame on me!!! I had no idea what ive had access to! Amazon membership is $139 a year. I get a lot out of it with my shopping and shipping but how STUPID  that i never got in the habit of watching shows through them. I will look inrto it.

I almost have too much lol Comcast was 185 channels but a lot of repeat HD. Youtubetv has 100+.  I'll miss watching Q2 and things I missed in Q3 but still will have Q. No big deal. I purchase 4 to 6 things a year, if that. 

I dont go out since my back accident a year ago except to work really, maybe to a friend's if that, so tv is my entertainment. I took this research seriously. It starts Feb 17 ( my choice of the date).

Esteemed Contributor

@spumoni99  buy a Roku stick.  You can download apps you want and watch local channels. Lots of them - one time purchase of sbout $40

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ.  I pay $6/mo for Peacock so it's not the super premium.  It's been 4 or 5 months since I got On Patrol live.  I didn't realize it until we went off DST and I noticed it was still light outside in the Eastern time zone at what would have been 9pm.  Then I noticed the word "live" was no longer on the screen.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

When my "promotional rate" with Xfinity expired and my bill went up by $50/mo. I called to complain and asked about current promotions.  No dice.  I switched to WOW cable but when that promo ran out, they had already started to phase themselves out of the cable market and encouraged me to switch to YouTube TV, offering me a $10 discount off of their monthly rate.  It's been a few months and I'm adjusting and no problems/issues/complaints so far.