Respected Contributor

Re: Draft RA Email to BOSS....Comments welcome

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  @Pook   I agree with Pook.  I would not send that e-mail and I definitely would not go into any details about your medical details at all.  

Work thrugh the office that is dealing with your reasonable accommodations that have been approved.

What you mention in your draft is way too detailed and opens doors to other unhappy avenues for you.

I am sad for you that you are not part of a union, you would be so much better off.

If I was in your place I definitely would not get into the e-mail weeds at this point.  Again, have all your dealings through the office that set up the RA and just do your daily job in your usual manner when in the physical office or while telecommuting.

Your boss sounds like a "gem" of a manager that needs to be too much in control--maybe to cover his own managerial issues or mistakes.

If I were you I would try to transfer--discreetly--out of his jurisdiction to another job ASAP.  And see if the new position can be in a unionized federal job so you don't have to experience this mess ever again.

Best of luck--praying for you.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

Here is my draft email to my supervisor, I don't return to work until Tuesday. I tried to be pleasant as I have to continue to work with him everyday until I find another job.

Please share your comments/revisions.    

DRAFT 

Good Morning JOHN DOE, 

The purpose of this email to have an open dialogue and ensure that we both understand what is needed to move forward successfully. 

I wanted to thank you for stopping by last Friday (2/22/19) to briefly discuss alternatives to the formal XYZ Reasonable Accommodation (RA) process.  I received a disability determination letter from the Office of Human Resources Management approving my RA application, it is my intention to follow the route outlined in the XyA Departmental Regulation (DR). I do not want to withdraw my RA request to pursue an alternative route.  The outlined RA Process is the best process to fit my current and future needs.

Initially, I was told that I did not have to go into extensive details of my medical condition; but I am getting the impression that you have concerns. I have a degenerative disc disease in the lumbar spine which has been diagnosed by my doctor and for which he’s prescribed a series of actions which included omitting commute time, teleworking two days per week, occupational therapy, physical therapy, special exercises, medications, joint injections and surgery. The complete and detailed documentation from my doctor was reviewed and approved by the RA office. It was my understanding that it’s just down to working out the logistics at this point. I was expecting to receive a Confirmation of Request for RA or an official RA Denial.

Frankly, I am a bit concerned with several parts of our conversation regarding my RA request.  When we first met on February 7th, I asked you if OCFO has established procedures for all OCFO RA requests.  It would really be helpful if OCFO had some kind of consistency which would help all employees feel that things are being done fairly across the board.

• One comment, you made indicating that “we” will not go the RA r Which portion of the DR  indicates that a Supervisor can make a determination for an Employee (who was deemed a qualified individual with a disability) that they will withdraw an approved RA request. I would think continuing the process as outlined in the DR would eliminate any confusion and misunderstandings.
  • The second comment, you made indicating that I need to act now because in six weeks the offer will be gone. Does our office have some sort of workload surge that crops up in mid-March, requiring everyone to be present in the office?  If yes, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is an option, as I am comfortable with unpaid leave. 
  • The third comment, I’m a bit confused about your telling me that Jane DOE used to report to you.  Does that mean you think I should follow your suggestion of working outside of the RA rather than the plan laid out in my RA document? Do you have concerns regarding her ability to act impartially or complete her role in this action?

thank you

@Happiness Is Inside JOB This is good. I’d suggest a few revisions:

• In the paragraph beginning with “Initially” delete the last sentence, as this opens the door for him to rescind your approved request.
  • In the paragraph beginning with “Frankly” you should add a sentence indicating how he replied (I assume he said there was no formal OCFO policy). 
  • In the same paragraph, delete the last sentence before the bullets, as your focus should be on YOUR request. This is not the time to advocate for others. You might replace that sentence with something like, “In the absence of an established OCFO RA policy, I’m not sure what to make of the following comments”
  • First bullet: it looks like a word was deleted from the opening sentence.
  • Third bullet: delete the second and third sentences/questions. Let HIM explain why he made that statement. Again, your focus should be on clarifying how his comments relate to you. Don’t let perceived side issues distract you from your primary focus. Substitute something like, “I don’t understand how this relates to implementing my RA plan.”

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

THANK YOU EVERYONE..

I am so glad that I sent you a draft to read.  I was thinking this is too long but I wanted to make a point that really does not need to be made.

I will delete at least half and I think I will eliminate all the YOU SAID....

Two heads, really 20 heads are better than one!!!

I'm so glad I am a QVC poster because I thought I was explaining but I was rambling.

I will come back on Tuesday and send an update of his response.  I do plan to send an email though beause he can't just cancel my approved RA request.

He has to follow the agency directive even if my request is denied meaning he does not accept the doctor's recommendations.

@Happiness Is Inside JOB This is NOT TOO LONG for its intended purpose, which is to document implied coercion to set aside an approved RA decision in a Federal organization. I just posted some suggested revisions for your consideration. Use them, or not, as you think best, but don’t just delete half of your email. You want to indicate all of your concerns in one email so you can move forward with implementing your RA plan. 

Honored Contributor

You lost me in your 1st post, this one?  Any boss I have had, which is tons of  them, would take 1 look at the length of this email, and shake their head. 

Like a few others have said, "way too much detail", and why not talk directly, face to face, with this person. I worked in a union factory, and I could almost recite the Company/Union Contract, and it did not have this many minute' details about any of the many jobs.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with some of what other posters have previously stated.  I would not go into detail of your medical condition, only the specifics of what is prescribed & necessary for your accommodation.

Also, any letter, memo, or email should also be CC'd to HR personnel, and the RA office personnel you have been dealing with so they know what your supervisor has been stating to you.  

Or maybe even discussing the whole situation with them before sending a letter to your supervisor as they may want to discuss this with him/her first to advise that his/her request is against policy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

THANK YOU EVERYONE..

I am so glad that I sent you a draft to read.  I was thinking this is too long but I wanted to make a point that really does not need to be made.

I will delete at least half and I think I will eliminate all the YOU SAID....

Two heads, really 20 heads are better than one!!!

I'm so glad I am a QVC poster because I thought I was explaining but I was rambling.

I will come back on Tuesday and send an update of his response.  I do plan to send an email though beause he can't just cancel my approved RA request.

He has to follow the agency directive even if my request is denied meaning he does not accept the doctor's recommendations.

@Happiness Is Inside JOB This is NOT TOO LONG for its intended purpose, which is to document implied coercion to set aside an approved RA decision in a Federal organization. I just posted some suggested revisions for your consideration. Use them, or not, as you think best, but don’t just delete half of your email. You want to indicate all of your concerns in one email so you can move forward with implementing your RA plan. 

I disagree.  It is MUCH too long.  This is not how a business-related email should be written.  I think she should delete far more than just half.

In addition, she needs to tread very, very carefully.  He clearly has his own agenda, and she needs to work thru the RA people.  By being so wordy and rambling, she could end up shooting herself in the foot and doing more harm than good.

Over-explaining is usually a huge mistake.  She needs to be brief and to the point.  And that's if she sends this email at all.  Personally, I wouldn't do anything without speaking to the RA people and/or HR.  It's clear she needs some guidance, and I hope she doesn't hesitate to get it.

Valued Contributor

I agree with @NYC Susan. I would tread carefully, in light of the previous history of problems with this boss.  (I'm referring to her previous issue with having to provide information in an EEO complaint.)

Honored Contributor

I would send an email requesting an appointment to speak directly to him about your concerns. I would take notes and tell him you will send him a summary of the meeting via email so you both can remember what was said/ agreed upon. I would never give him specifics about your medical issues....none of his business and he can get that info from your disability paperwork that your physician should have already provided.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I would send an email requesting an appointment to speak directly to him about your concerns. I would take notes and tell him you will send him a summary of the meeting via email so you both can remember what was said/ agreed upon. I would never give him specifics about your medical issues....none of his business and he can get that info from your disability paperwork that your physician should have already provided.

That surely would not be a good idea.  If she is going to request a meeting she could with HR and her supervisor but she should never meet with him alone at this point if she already doesn't like what he said at a previous meeting.    It still would be he said she said and she would put herself in the position of possibly being considered a troublemaker! 

Honored Contributor

DON'T put this in writing.  Sit down with your boss and have a talk.  You can take notes with you so you don't forget anything.  

If HR or whomever approved your disability time, your boss is wrong to ask questions.  These are big HR no-no's.  I would call HR before talking to my boss.