Respected Contributor

@Naki-Poo wrote:

We never walk our two dogs, they go in the back yard. We chose not to do this where our dogs can catch diseases of other dogs in the neighborhood. Whats wrong with not walking your dogs? My house is on 12 acres of land and they take their time running after each other and I have the knowledge of where they both have been all day. Barking dogs like ours, are you talking about us?

Joann 12 18 the dogs are protecting what is theres. I think that dogs bark to protect their owners,if you are so called so upset with your friends dog then do not visit her. I believe that the owner is the rightful person to discuss this with not us here, cause you are going to get an answer you are not going to like, like me who is the owner of these dogs. I know you are talking directly about my animals but since you can not discuss this to me directly to me.

Yes this is normal for a dog to bark protection, and does not know you of course even if you been at the house 100 times before, the dogs sense you do not like them that is why they bark at you.

First of all you can not control the barking of the dogs. They are dogs, for protecting their owners. IF other neighbors do not mind them barking, why should you? Are you living right next to me? Or them to hear it consistantley? IF you are then you need to speak to the owners instead of complaining to your friend about these dogs.

@Naki-Poo

I agree with you, and I must say that your dogs are very fortunate to live in a home with 12 acres!  That sounds like doggy heaven!  Smiley Happy

However, most of us are not that fortunate.  If we live in a neighborhood close to other neighbors, then we must be aware that too much barking is not pleasant for the neighborhood.

I happen to live in a great neighborhood, a five minute walk to the beach and a great 3 mile hiking trail.  I also live near other spectacular parks.

I have a small backyard.  I have enough room to toss the ball to my dog and he can run around pretty well, but not great distances.  I have neighbors near to me.

In my case, I am very aware of my dog's barking and how that might annoy others.

He does bark when people pass by, but he usually barks once and then looks at me.  I tell him "ok" and then I tell him "leave it."

This is very important.  Yes, dog's have an instinct to bark, but we must also train them to listen to us.

If I lived on 12 acres, I would not be concerned about this.  But because I live in a regular residential neighborhood, I believe it's important for both my dog and me to be good neighbors. Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Also, if you are careful about where you bring your dog, and you have your dog vaccinated, you do not have to worry about dog diseases.

Could a dog catch something like kennel cough?  Sure, but we all do.  Saying that you don't want your dog to interact with other dogs because of diseases is the same as saying that you won't let your children near other children for the same reason.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

"walking" a dog is certainly not a necessity. If there is a yard, they can run around there. And some dogs like/prefer to play inside. I had a few like this. Also, not all dogs need alot of exericse, like the giant breeds. And if a dog has certain health conditions, like alot of bone and joint issues, walking on hard surfaces like concrete can be very uncomfortable. You also have no idea if they take the dog to parks or places to run around. 

Honestly, the only people I know who actually walk their dogs around in their neighborhood is those without much of a yard, people who do it more for their own form of exercise, those in apartments, or those who have dogs that need tons of exercise and even running around the yard may not be enough. Most peope I know don't do traditional dog walking. 

@HappyDaze wrote:

"walking" a dog is certainly not a necessity. If there is a yard, they can run around there. And some dogs like/prefer to play inside. I had a few like this. Also, not all dogs need alot of exericse, like the giant breeds. And if a dog has certain health conditions, like alot of bone and joint issues, walking on hard surfaces like concrete can be very uncomfortable. You also have no idea if they take the dog to parks or places to run around. 

Honestly, the only people I know who actually walk their dogs around in their neighborhood is those without much of a yard, people who do it more for their own form of exercise, those in apartments, or those who have dogs that need tons of exercise and even running around the yard may not be enough. Most peope I know don't do traditional dog walking. 

That's interesting, because where I live most people walk their dogs....big dogs, small dogs, big people, small people.  Smiley Happy

Although it could be because I live in an area with great walking and hiking trails all over, close to a beach,  and people who are normally pretty outdoors oriented.

Even my neighbor who has a Maltese walks him twice a day.  Granted, not far, but they go around the neighborhood a couple of times.