Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Actually , walking is not much exercise for a dog. They need to play and run.You would be better off to get a tennis ball or a frisbee and play with your dog in the yard , so he is running and jumping for a half hour than walking him a half hour.

Walking is awesome exercise for a dog, unless you are walking them a half block and coming home.  

Any trainer we have ever used told us that dogs need a change of scenery to break up the monotony and boredom which is another reason to walk them.  They need to see something different besides the inside of the house and the same backyard.

Honored Contributor

As long as a dog is loved, fed good food, given medical help and checkups as needed, that is really the most important part.  Yes a walk is nice, but as long as they have access to a yard they can walk in and are not left out to roam the streets, a walk is not critical.

I do hink some people should not have dogs  who really do not have time for them.   Having a dog is a huge responsibility.  Too many  people think it is just a given.   Having a dog is taking on the care for a life. Not to be taken lightly.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Actually , walking is not much exercise for a dog. They need to play and run.You would be better off to get a tennis ball or a frisbee and play with your dog in the yard , so he is running and jumping for a half hour than walking him a half hour.

Walking is awesome exercise for a dog, unless you are walking them a half block and coming home.  

Any trainer we have ever used told us that dogs need a change of scenery to break up the monotony and boredom which is another reason to walk them.  They need to see something different besides the inside of the house and the same backyard.

While walking is a great activity for a dog how much exercise they get really depends on the dog.  They need to get their heart rate up just as people do when exercising.  A small dog walking quickly to keep up with a person will get their heart rate up higher than a much larger dog who will be walking at a slower pace. 

There are a lot of mental stimulation a dog gets from a walk, which is a good thing.  It also tends to tire them out when they think.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

As a dog owner, I do understand nuisance barking....but I learned a lesson. 

A very long time ago, we lived in a somewhat isolated end unit in a row home. Everybody was at work during the day, and it was just me and my baby.

I had put him down for a nap-and I thought I would do the same.

Just then, our dog started barking furiously. I yelled at her, but she kept it up. 

I looked out of a side window and saw a rough looking man doing something with my sliding glass door.

I called The police-they came.

I found out later, two units had been broken into and the guy had a rap sheet a mile long.

Two years ago, our neighbors across the street put up their hurricane shutters and went North for the summer.

My pups started barking furiously and there was an unfamiliar vehicle in my neighbors driveway.

I called the police-they came-and yes, it was an attempted break-in. The guy had unscrewed their Dade shutters and was in the house....

Barking when nothing is there is annoying-and it annoys me, BUT I appreciate my cuddly, loveable alarms....

Poodlepet2

Occasional Contributor

We never walk our two dogs, they go in the back yard. We chose not to do this where our dogs can catch diseases of other dogs in the neighborhood. Whats wrong with not walking your dogs? My house is on 12 acres of land and they take their time running after each other and I have the knowledge of where they both have been all day. Barking dogs like ours, are you talking about us?

Joann 12 18 the dogs are protecting what is theres. I think that dogs bark to protect their owners,if you are so called so upset with your friends dog then do not visit her. I believe that the owner is the rightful person to discuss this with not us here, cause you are going to get an answer you are not going to like, like me who is the owner of these dogs. I know you are talking directly about my animals but since you can not discuss this to me directly to me.

Yes this is normal for a dog to bark protection, and does not know you of course even if you been at the house 100 times before, the dogs sense you do not like them that is why they bark at you.

First of all you can not control the barking of the dogs. They are dogs, for protecting their owners. IF other neighbors do not mind them barking, why should you? Are you living right next to me? Or them to hear it consistantley? IF you are then you need to speak to the owners instead of complaining to your friend about these dogs.

Honored Contributor

"walking" a dog is certainly not a necessity. If there is a yard, they can run around there. And some dogs like/prefer to play inside. I had a few like this. Also, not all dogs need alot of exericse, like the giant breeds. And if a dog has certain health conditions, like alot of bone and joint issues, walking on hard surfaces like concrete can be very uncomfortable. You also have no idea if they take the dog to parks or places to run around. 

Honestly, the only people I know who actually walk their dogs around in their neighborhood is those without much of a yard, people who do it more for their own form of exercise, those in apartments, or those who have dogs that need tons of exercise and even running around the yard may not be enough. Most peope I know don't do traditional dog walking. 

Honored Contributor

@Naki-Poo wrote:

We never walk our two dogs, they go in the back yard. We chose not to do this where our dogs can catch diseases of other dogs in the neighborhood. Whats wrong with not walking your dogs? My house is on 12 acres of land and they take their time running after each other and I have the knowledge of where they both have been all day. Barking dogs like ours, are you talking about us?

Joann 12 18 the dogs are protecting what is theres. I think that dogs bark to protect their owners,if you are so called so upset with your friends dog then do not visit her. I believe that the owner is the rightful person to discuss this with not us here, cause you are going to get an answer you are not going to like, like me who is the owner of these dogs. I know you are talking directly about my animals but since you can not discuss this to me directly to me.

Yes this is normal for a dog to bark protection, and does not know you of course even if you been at the house 100 times before, the dogs sense you do not like them that is why they bark at you.

First of all you can not control the barking of the dogs. They are dogs, for protecting their owners. IF other neighbors do not mind them barking, why should you? Are you living right next to me? Or them to hear it consistantley? IF you are then you need to speak to the owners instead of complaining to your friend about these dogs.

@Naki-Poo, huh? Are you seriously telling us that you think the poster is talking about you? Wow.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Re: Dog Question

[ Edited ]

It sounds like the lady takes care of the dog....she lets it in the house. 

Some dogs bark constantly out of fear, some bark to protect their property. 

And for Petes sake, don't call animal control for this (that's ridiculous). Simply talk to your neighbor. There are animals in dire conditions- that's when you make the call. 

Respected Contributor

Btw, my dog has a HUGE fenced yard to play in, & he's a house dog. I've never taken him for a walk & never will. The area I live in isn't safe, & I'd like both of us to make it home alive. 

Respected Contributor

Sounds to me like the dog doesn't get enough exercise and interaction with his/her owner, other people, and other dogs.  It might be that the dog is bored and that's why he/she barks so much.

I believe that ALL dogs need some amount of social interaction.

If you aren't able to walk or play with your dog very much, then you can find a good doggy daycare to take him to a couple times a week, or hire a dog walker to come a couple of times a week.

I have a two year old Australian Labradoodle.  I work part-time during the school year.

He goes on two hour walks/hikes nearly every day.  Either I take him, or he goes with a dog walker twice a week.  Once a week, he also spends all day at a doggy daycare, playing with other dogs, and supervised by trained people.

In the mornings, I take him out to "do his business," and then we play ball for 20 minutes.

In the evenings after dinner, we go outside and play ball for a half hour. 

He does bark sometimes, but I let him bark once, then I tell him to "leave it" and he knows to stop.

Good training, exercise, and lots of interaction with your dog are what's needed, in my view.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero