Regular Contributor

My neighbor has a dog (don't exactly know the breed, but it's big). She never walks the dog.  She just lets it out in the backyard to do its business and after a while the dog goes back in the house. Is it normal to never walk your dog?  My other question is, the dog constantly barks.  Anytime I or a member of my family or a friend comes over and we go in the backyard, it barks - you would think it would know me by now.  The neighbor does nothing to quiet the dog, just tells the dog stop, but dog keeps barking.  Also when I drive up to my house or any other visitor drives to my house, the dog barks and barks.  I can never just drive up to my house without his constant barking.  It is annoying.  I never had a dog, so I don't know if this is normal.  I've casually made remarks about this to my neighbor but she does nothing.  But also, I shouldn't have to go over to my neighbor and complain, she should be considerate of the neighbors and be more on top of controlling the dog's barking.  Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

@joann1218 wrote:

My neighbor has a dog (don't exactly know the breed, but it's big). She never walks the dog.  She just lets it out in the backyard to do its business and after a while the dog goes back in the house. Is it normal to never walk your dog?  My other question is, the dog constantly barks.  Anytime I or a member of my family or a friend comes over and we go in the backyard, it barks - you would think it would know me by now.  The neighbor does nothing to quiet the dog, just tells the dog stop, but dog keeps barking.  Also when I drive up to my house or any other visitor drives to my house, the dog barks and barks.  I can never just drive up to my house without his constant barking.  It is annoying.  I never had a dog, so I don't know if this is normal.  I've casually made remarks about this to my neighbor but she does nothing.  But also, I shouldn't have to go over to my neighbor and complain, she should be considerate of the neighbors and be more on top of controlling the dog's barking.  Any thoughts?

Very rare, but my dog doesn't care for walks. They like to be outside though, but a house dog. (sleeps in bed etc.)

I don't care for barking dogs. I bring mine in, when they bark too much.

Respected Contributor

How old is this lady?  Maybe she can't get out to walk the dog or has health problems.  If the dog has a fenced in area - it should be fine.  My dogs stay indoors all day, but have a huge backyard to go out in.  I myself think dogs need to walk every day for exercise and to keep them from boredom, which is probably why the dog barks.  My dogs have lived to be over 16 and I swear it is because they get out for exercise every day.  Everyone's circumstances aren't the same though.  The dog is probably just bored, so it barks.

Respected Contributor

Living in a home with a yard it is normal to not walk a dog. Not that it's good but it's normal. If you think of people in an apartment they have to walk the dog. As far as the barking goes maybe think of the dogs perspective. The dog doesn't leave the house so when the little excitement of someone moving around outside happens the dog barks. True it can be annoying but my neighbors kids are always playing in the middle of the street screaming like they're dying and that annoys me. I know it's not the kids fault the mom just sends them outside and doesn't watch them. Much like the dog there's not much supervision or interaction with the people it lives with so he/she is probably bored and lonely. A dog barking is like us talking maybe it just wants to get to know you. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have always been respectful of my pets w/neighbors.....it is your neighbors responsibility to make sure the dog doesn't infringe on  you enjoying your space and home area..............not a very thoughtful neighbor

Honored Contributor

I have had dogs in the past who have detested walks.  I've tried and they would plop themselves down and refuse to go.

My dog now likes the idea of a walk until we are partway into it. Then she sits to take a break, walks a little, sits a little.  She's also a terrible walker despite training attempts.

She loves to be outside in the backyard and will sit out there until she's ready to come in.  She doesn't even run around the backyard.  She's really a pretty laid back dog.   She will bark if she hears other dogs barking or she will bark at the neighbors initially but she stops as soon as I tell her to. 

Respected Contributor

There is one other thing you should consider.  A barking dog is your best deterrent to a home robbery.  While you may not like to hear the barking (who does?), and your neighbor's dog should certainly be quieted after a few minutes of barking by its owners out of consideration, if they are home to do so, that annoying, barking dog may be the most significant reason your home has not been robbed by anyone casing your neighborhood.  

I know of someone whose home was about to be broken into, and in fact, a rear window of her home was broken apart, yet due to her neighbor's loudly barking dog, the two male robbers decided to abort their plan, and they left the property.  Another neighbor witnessed the entire event and called the police on the potential robbers, as she was alerted to the robbers by the barking dog. That dog saved the day, and the neighbor was extremely grateful to the owners of that barking dog.

In short, there are unexpected and typically underappreciated benefits to having a neighbor with a barking dog.  

Honored Contributor

The dog is poorly trained and frustrated.  Of course it will bark-it has learned that the behaviour is acceptable to its owner.

The step you need to take is to contact animal control and find out what YOUR rights are to have a modicum of peace.  They should be able to direct you.

You will have to take the step of filing a complaint, I'm sure.

But does the dog bark non-stop or just bark a few times when a car pulls up or at anytime something gets its attention?

There is nothing worse when pet owners let their dogs yap and yap and yap constantly.

It isn't healthy for the animal and nobody should have their right to some quiet disturbed by this. 

Be prepared, though, to be called a hater of dogs and other assorted names.  And also be prepared to be told "it's just a dog". 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Dogs do bark out of boredom.  Most of the annoying, constantly barking dogs I've observed were ones that were left outside alone all day or night. Even when left in the house alone for long periods of time, they will bark for attention.

My next door neighbors are a good example.  I live in a condo, and our back patios are only separated by a wooden fence that surrounds them. They have lived there about three years with the same two dogs.  Every time I go in or out of my back door they bark at me, even though I know their names and talk to them through the fence.  They bark at EVERYTHING outside of their fence.  Here's the problem. NOT ONCE have those lazy people (2 adults, 2 kids) taken one of those dogs for a walk or allowed them to "meet" other people.  They have never been any farther than that patio.  I feel so badly for them that I'd walk them myself, but my neighbors are not sociable and would never have it.  The poor dogs would probably be so afraid that they would bite anyone who came near them anyway.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Just because you do not see them being walked does not mean they are not exercised.  My neighbors have never seen me walk my dogs, yet I drive them to parks, fields, my parents, training facilities etc.  On rainy days we even have games we play on stairs to burn some energy off.

Barking dog is different.  If the barking dog bothers you, you need to discuss with your neighbor.  Just making comments or expecting them to know is not enough.  Have the discussion.  If that does not work I would find out what the city rules are concerning a barking dog.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.