Respected Contributor

The dog is very protective, doesn't matter if it's you or a stranger

I'm sure if you discuss this with your neighbor the barking issue, things can be resolved, ask her kindly if you can give her dog a milkbone when that happens.

I'm sure the dog owner has no idea it bothers you

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

Living in a home with a yard it is normal to not walk a dog. Not that it's good but it's normal. If you think of people in an apartment they have to walk the dog. As far as the barking goes maybe think of the dogs perspective. The dog doesn't leave the house so when the little excitement of someone moving around outside happens the dog barks. True it can be annoying but my neighbors kids are always playing in the middle of the street screaming like they're dying and that annoys me. I know it's not the kids fault the mom just sends them outside and doesn't watch them. Much like the dog there's not much supervision or interaction with the people it lives with so he/she is probably bored and lonely. A dog barking is like us talking maybe it just wants to get to know you. 

That happens quite a bit around here and to be honest it bothers me MORE than barking dogs.

Honored Contributor

I don't think a dog barking at people is out of boredom.  I expect and want my dog to bark at people.  My dog might see my neighbors occassionally but they don't "know" them so I expect there to be some barking. 

My dog barks at the neighbor behind me because he gives her treats all the time so she wants his attention.  She does it with other neighbors because I think she thinks they are going to give her treats as well. 

However, if my dog is outside and the neighbors are having a party or something and she starts barking, I bring her right in the house.  I would never leave her out there to bark at anyone non-stop.  I also don't just put my dog outside and leave her.  I am either out with her, continually check on her or watch her from a window.  Who knows what could happen.  We've had coyote lately in our area.

By nature, some dogs are barkers as well.         

Super Contributor

@joann1218 I have neighbors with a large black lab that sits on their deck 24/7 and even goes to the bathroom there. Very little human interaction and no exercise. He barks a lot but I understand why. He is bored and lonely. I have always had large  dogs ( currently 3) and have always walked them daily, even at 0430AM before my work days. I also have a large back yard and my opinion is that this is not enough exercise, especially for large young dogs. I will never understand why people own pets that  sit outside all the time and have so little love. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dog Question

[ Edited ]

If the dog is primarily barking when there is activity at your house the barking is most likely due to "intruders" in "his territory". Many (most) dogs consider anything within their sight, sense of smell or hearing to be part of their domain.

That does not excuse your neighbor from quieting the dog, even if it means bringing him inside, when you are in your backyard.

ETA:  If the dog barks incessantly when outside then he is more likely bored and/or looking for attention.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@joann1218  I would go over there and make friends with the dog.

If you spend a little time with it, and it understands you are friendly, it may stop barking at you.

Take it treats occasionally and pet it, etc.

Explain to your neighbor what you're doing; I'm sure she will understand and probably appreciate it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dog Question

[ Edited ]

In my area in New England, most of my neighbors do as you mention and NEVER  walk their dogs.  I think it's very common with busy younger families that are shuttling kids to multiple activities, etc and the dog is at bottom of the list.  We walk our dog in the park often and mostly see older folks who have more time. Not meant to be snarky, just what I see...

Regarding incessant barking- that's very inconsiderate to neighbors and I would nicely mention to owner how disruptive this is to neighborhood. 

Honored Contributor

I've had dogs we walked and dogs that preferred to be out in the yard instead. However, we had a large yard, and the dog stayed in her own yard. 

As for the barking - I don't know what to tell you. My neighbor's dog barks incessantly. She has been reported numerous times to the HOA. She paid a professional trainer for private lessons. The dog is still barking.The HOA is being very kind to her because she's a recent widow, but that isn't going to last forever.At some point she either has to stop the barking or get rid of the dog.

Honored Contributor

Actually , walking is not much exercise for a dog. They need to play and run.You would be better off to get a tennis ball or a frisbee and play with your dog in the yard , so he is running and jumping for a half hour than walking him a half hour.

Valued Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

The dog is poorly trained and frustrated.  Of course it will bark-it has learned that the behaviour is acceptable to its owner.

The step you need to take is to contact animal control and find out what YOUR rights are to have a modicum of peace.  They should be able to direct you.

You will have to take the step of filing a complaint, I'm sure.

But does the dog bark non-stop or just bark a few times when a car pulls up or at anytime something gets its attention?

There is nothing worse when pet owners let their dogs yap and yap and yap constantly.

It isn't healthy for the animal and nobody should have their right to some quiet disturbed by this. 

Be prepared, though, to be called a hater of dogs and other assorted names.  And also be prepared to be told "it's just a dog". 

Wow.  You might talk to your neighbors first before reporting them to the police or Animal Control. The other thing you might do first is purchase a small, inexpensive device that deters barking by admitting an ultra high frequency sound when the dog barks. You can put the device near the fence or affix to the fence in a small open space. Humans do not hear the sound.