Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else find some tv programs incredibly dark?

I find this more with movies than with TV, however, right now, Clarise is shot in a very dark set for every scene. Somethimes these sets are so dark it's difficult to see what's going on. Previously, Bates Motel was exceptionally dark. For network shows, the comedies and medical shows are filmed in bright light with light colored settings.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

All due respect...Y'all have had your cataracts tests lately, right? Woman Wink My MIL complained about the same thing and she says it got better right after getting the surgery.

Personally, I realized I kept putting the CC on during TV shows. Then I got some Debrox and cleaned my ears really well. I don't automatically put on the CC anymore.

Just food for thought. I do think they use darker, moodier lighting on moodier shows as well. So I still think you're right about this.

@Porcelain  I see you took my post upthread literally!

Honored Contributor

@minkbunny wrote:

Literally, dark offices, dark rooms, even outside in the middle of the day - it is DARK.  Watching Blue Bloods right now and can hardly make out the characters.  It is not our tv as it is the same on other sets in other rooms, the commercials are fine are the other programs (for the most part).

Smiley Mad

@minkbunny 

ITA .... Living in Los Angeles, over the years I've met or known many people in the entertainment biz.   One person I met was a Lighting Technician.   Apparently, directors often like the contrast .... it can frame the actors in light or "hide" the background so the audience isn't distracted by the background.  Obviously, this doesn't apply to every show, but it's the two cents I'm able to offer on the subject.  

I'm not crazy about the dark scenes, either.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

All due respect...Y'all have had your cataracts tests lately, right? Woman Wink My MIL complained about the same thing and she says it got better right after getting the surgery.

Personally, I realized I kept putting the CC on during TV shows. Then I got some Debrox and cleaned my ears really well. I don't automatically put on the CC anymore.

Just food for thought. I do think they use darker, moodier lighting on moodier shows as well. So I still think you're right about this.

@Porcelain  I see you took my post upthread literally!

I didn't see that. Very funny. You made the joke first!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

In the 1940s they developed the Film Noir style with lots of shadows partly to save on set design costs. I remember learning that from TCM.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@minkbunny They really are true!!!

Honored Contributor

Regarding movies vs tv shows (I restrained myself from saying "programs"), I do think there is a difference in both sound and picture.  Movies are made for the theater so I would assume there would be a few issues with translating them perfectly into optimal tv quality.

Honored Contributor

When you used the word "dark" I thought you were referring to the subject matter. Now I see what you mean. "Blue Bloods" is soooo dark I can hardly see some of the characters.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not a soap opera watcher but I have noticed when flipping by them, they all seem to be dark too. I always wondered why everybody's house is so dark, it just seems strange to me!