Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone else find some tv programs incredibly dark?

We've noticed this for years.  It used to bug the heck out of me on the old show CSI especially.  Maybe that's the first time I noticed it.  But I would yell at the TV for them to flip a light switch or turn on a lamp!  

Or, the background music is so loud that we can't hear what the characters are saying to each other.   Darkness and loud music = they must be trying to create a mood, but I can't see or hear what's going on!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I noticed the same thing.  So I looked up Troubeshooting for my LG TV.

It stated, the picture settings for these programs are embedded in the program itself and are generally darker than other videos. This allows clear contrast between light and dark areas of the same scene. Due to the nature of HDR, these setting cannot be overidden.

Still doesn't explain to me why everything is so dark.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner    I've often noticed how cops will go into a building to search for someone always using flashlights.  I've wondered why they don't just flip a light switch? 

@Kachina24
LOL I'm constantly complaining about this!  In some situations the electricity might be off, but not everywhere, every time.  Ridiculous.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@minkbunny   and I would add mumbling actors.

Regular Contributor

Switched to more British series on Acorn and Brit Box.   Much more "tongue n cheek."  More entertaining and less disturbing.  The acting is much better with fewer beautiful people posing for the camera.

Honored Contributor

@minkbunny  I agree about the darkness thing.  But I had to page you because your title cracked me up because of the word "programs."  (I use the word all the time too.)  Have you ever seen the commercial with the guy who's training people to not be their parents?  One of the lines is, "they're not programs, they're t.v. shows..."  

It just gave me a chuckle...

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner    I've often noticed how cops will go into a building to search for someone always using flashlights.  I've wondered why they don't just flip a light switch? 

I say the same thing to my husband every time we watch a cop show. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon wrote:

@minkbunny  I agree about the darkness thing.  But I had to page you because your title cracked me up because of the word "programs."  (I use the word all the time too.)  Have you ever seen the commercial with the guy who's training people to not be their parents?  One of the lines is, "they're not programs, they're t.v. shows..."  

It just gave me a chuckle...

@faeriemoon 

I love those "Dr. Rick" commercials...😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt   So funny !   Does that mean I used a hashtag ?    Smiley LOL

It is true, I suppose.  My grandma used to get all her work done early so she could sit by the radio and listen to her "programs"  (soap operas) in the afternoon.

I love the one about - Do we really need a sign to tell us to 

LIVE LOVE LAUGH ....

Honored Contributor

@minkbunny wrote:

@Spurt   So funny !   Does that mean I used a hashtag ?    Smiley LOL

It is true, I suppose.  My grandma used to get all her work done early so she could sit by the radio and listen to her "programs"  (soap operas) in the afternoon.

I love the one about - Do we really need a sign to tell us to 

LIVE LOVE LAUGH ....

@minkbunny 

🤣🤣🤣 Those commercials are just HILARIOUS!!!!

Here's one Im guilty of..."You woke up early, no one cares"..............😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”