Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone else find some tv programs incredibly dark?

@Spurt  @minkbunny 

If you printed out directions to get here, you're in the right place.

The waiter doesn't need to know your name.

LOL gotta love Dr. Rick......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Also: "I'm having a big lunch and just a snack for dinner...."

And as the blue haired person walks by, "We all see it, we all see it, we all see it...."

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon  I guess they are funny because, well they are true Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

I do notice some shows/movies have a lot of darkness where it's hard to see.  I have enough trouble seeing, possibly like many of you, so when it's dark I just see shadows.

My biggest thing is background music.  For some pieces it's so freaking LOUD that I cannot hear the dialogue.    

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs   Your dog avatar is beautiful. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@minkbunny 

Hit me during the dinnertable banter yesterday.  Usually the room shows up a bit more.

Honored Contributor

All due respect...Y'all have had your cataracts tests lately, right? Woman Wink My MIL complained about the same thing and she says it got better right after getting the surgery.

Personally, I realized I kept putting the CC on during TV shows. Then I got some Debrox and cleaned my ears really well. I don't automatically put on the CC anymore.

Just food for thought. I do think they use darker, moodier lighting on moodier shows as well. So I still think you're right about this.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one that hates these "programs" (yes, I'm one who needs Dr Rick) that are so dark.  It's unrealistic and distracting.  I'm glad "we all see it, we allll seee it...." Woman Very Happy

I've gotten to the point of turning the show off.  Also, the music louder than the program - they used to do that on a local radio station in the morning.when giving the weather forecast.  I never knew what the weather was going to be that day.

And as for talking so fast and mumbling, well, I know my hearing isn't perfect, but sometimes I wonder if they are speaking English?!?!

Good to know I'm not alone in this - I feel better now!

Esteemed Contributor

@Drlinda wrote:

Switched to more British series on Acorn and Brit Box.   Much more "tongue n cheek."  More entertaining and less disturbing.  The acting is much better with fewer beautiful people posing for the camera.

-------------

Exactly!!  Am watching Acorn more than any other channel!!  Love the dramas and mysteries.  Especially love the foreign films, I get to hear and practice other languages.

Esteemed Contributor

OK, I just watched the current episode of Bluebloods and there is definitely something wrong with the lighting.  The darkness is extreme even by the standards of so many shows today.  

When Anthony walked into Erin's office dressed in a suit, I didn't even realize it was Anthony at first, because I couldn't see his face until he came closer.  I do have to wonder if this was due to any of the COVID restrictions they were dealing with. Fewer production people, maybe?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett