Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think this worked? (telemarketer)

MJ12 wrote:

I rarely get telemarketing calls but when I do, I just remind him or her that we're on the no call list and to not call again.  I don't waste my time joking around with them.  But I hope it worked for you.

Hi MJ!  I used to do that and found that it never seemed to work - like EVER.  I got frustrated with that.  They would just say 'yes, we'll take you off the call list'.  But they would keep calling and each would would kind of chuckle and say the same thing. 

I bought a 'rape whistle' once and - well, that just seemed so cruel.  But I'd heard that it really works.

Short of finding a way to block them, I've yet to find something that works.  The more insidious the entity, the more likely you'll continue to hear from them until the end of time, despite your desire to be off their 'list'.  It's truly maddening!

Super Contributor

Do yourself a favor, like I did, end of last year I switched service from landline to U-VERSE, got it love it, have it about 9mos. went online to my acctin July there you can sign up for free select " Call  Screen in" works like a Charm.

I have 195 caller i.d's  I just counted  on my  pjone "Call Block.

I went onlline to in July about 4 weeks ago and NO MORE TELEMARKETING  R ROBO CALLS ! not one.

All I had to do go online to my acct. I am allowed enter "20 phone" numbers with U-verse, enter # from your phonebook  list that you WANT person to call you number  like numbers you use often,family friends,v.i.p #'s, I  included of course QVC C/S.

Contact your Landline  phone carrier or join U-Verse it s worth it.

I got sick & tired  screaming at telemarkete'rs blocking every single call, yes, they call back twice v.o.i p they even used  my home phone number,and a local shop, called back  even when you tell tem NO!  I  was getting me so mad,I amn not spring chiken either.

Sick of Survery calls now it will Political calls Charity,forget it

Good luck to you I can certainly understand how you feel I been putting up with so many junk calls for over 4 years so I had it!

Esteemed Contributor

The cell phone is not immune from these calls.  I am starting to get them. On my landline they happen all the time.  I ignore them if I don't recognize the name.  However I found blocking them doesn't really work since they change their number at will.  

One day I just answered all of them.  I figured I would PLAY, have a giggle or whatever.  I answered one as if I was the local police department, they hung up super fast.  I answered another one and engaged the gent in a conversation.  He was from MICROSOFT (yeah right) he couldn't even say the name correctly.  I kept him on for 15 minutes telling him a through my computer away and needed another one.  Would he suggest a good brand, and good software programs to go on it.  I asked him about anything technical I could think of.  I kept him going and I ended up then questioning him how in the world he thought something was wrong with it.  Then I went into should I report it to the police,  perhaps someone picked it up and was using it in my name.  Got to love the attention when you have nothing to do for the half hour or so.  Kept me from eating or snacking.

Honored Contributor

If you get repeated calls from a telemarketer AND you are on the Do Not Call list, you should also fill out a complaint form. Here's some more information about when that's appropriate and a link to the form: https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx

Honored Contributor

Great idea! Let us know if it works! 

One of my friends picks up the phone then hangs up right away. Another one pretends she's a babysitter who doesn't understand English! I usually don't answer, but you all are right - they clog up the answering machine. 

I noticed another sneaky trick they're pulling just last week. I picked up the phone because it was a local number. When I answered it, it sounded like I had a real person. But then "he" started to talk, and I realized I was talking to a recording when I interrupted and he kept on going! 

When we moved in up here, our phone number was similar to that of a breakfast place that delivered. It wasn't even that close to us! We were getting calls at 5 a.m! Everyone was really nice when they realized they had the wrong number, and they always apologized for waking us up. They didn't. DH is always up then, and I was too back then! Once in a while we'll get another one, but it hasn't happened for a long time! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

I'm convinced the only way to get rid of these calls is to get rid of the number, particularly if it is a landline.  We are on the no call list, I've blocked numbers but still get the same numbers calling numerous times a day.  They seem to be cyclical.  After a week or so of calls from the same number, they'll stop, then start up months later.  When you do reverse number searches they are often times residential. (which is why they skirt the no call list)  You'll find tons of complaint.  Many are soliciting for charities or trying to sell medical insurance.  Then there's the IRS scams.

Do I think the Pizza Hut thing will remedy the problem?  Maybe temporarily but eventually they'll start again.

I have no idea how many numbers I can block, but I'm probably reaching that magic number.

Honored Contributor

I really do not understand why people don't just pick up the phone, say they are not interested and hang up. Period. Honesty is the best policy in all things. Why would you play games on the phone like a child?

Honored Contributor

Before all of the robo calls I used to love to answer and play games with them.I would say stuff like so glad you called because I am stuck at home with projectile vomiting and nobody wants to be around me.I Was wondering if you had any good home remedies?They always just hung up....soooo inconsiderate.

Honored Contributor

151949 wrote:

I really do not understand why people don't just pick up the phone, say they are not interested and hang up. Period. Honesty is the best policy in all things. Why would you play games on the phone like a child?

I think that the 'game' is because you can say you're not interested until the cows come home but they will keep calling you.  It takes a lot more than that to make the calls stop, unfortunately.

I know, while I'm at it, some people will scoff that you can just not answer.  Well, for some households there are times when somebody has to be sleeping - or whatever - but who doesn't want peace and to be left alone by people with whom they don't wish to have contact.  Unfortunately, this whole telemarketing and robocall thing has become like a cancer that's hard to rid yourself of.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I think that the 'game' is because you can say you're not interested until the cows come home but they will keep calling you.  It takes a lot more than that to make the calls stop, unfortunately.

I know, while I'm at it, some people will scoff that you can just not answer.  Well, for some households there are times when somebody has to be sleeping - or whatever - but who doesn't want peace and to be left alone by people with whom they don't wish to have contact.  Unfortunately, this whole telemarketing and robocall thing has become like a cancer that's hard to rid yourself of.

I'm a nurse - I know all about working nights and sleeping during the day - there is a button on the phone to turn the ringer off - anyone can do it - very simple.