Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think this worked? (telemarketer)

@Nicknack wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

It's been said before and bears repeating... in almost every single case, answering the phone will not cut down on calls and will, in fact, cause them to increase.    

These, for the most part, are just computers scrolling through random numbers in numeric order and they have no idea if any of them are actually in use.   (This is one reason the Do Not Call Registry doesn't, and can't, apply to this type of robocalls.)   Answering the phone -- and especially talking or pressing buttons -- tells them they got a "hit" and you can bet your number just went to a list that will be used, shared, and even sold.

@dooBdoo  I never answer my phone if I don't recognize the number.  I've wondered, though, doesn't the answering machine picking up let them know your number is a working number?  I've been curious about this for a long time.

It depends upon the software they use.   Some of it is sophisticated enough to detect the difference and to only add the "real" answers (not the voicemail or answering device) to their list for future calls.   Other software won't know the difference.   That's why not answering at all is still the best bet.Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

I rarely get telemarketing calls but when I do, I just remind him or her that we're on the no call list and to not call again.  I don't waste my time joking around with them.  But I hope it worked for you.

Hi MJ!  I used to do that and found that it never seemed to work - like EVER.  I got frustrated with that.  They would just say 'yes, we'll take you off the call list'.  But they would keep calling and each would would kind of chuckle and say the same thing. 

I bought a 'rape whistle' once and - well, that just seemed so cruel.  But I'd heard that it really works.

Short of finding a way to block them, I've yet to find something that works.  The more insidious the entity, the more likely you'll continue to hear from them until the end of time, despite your desire to be off their 'list'.  It's truly maddening!

My problem is robo calls.  Those whistles don't work on recorded voices!!!

Regular Contributor

Not to sound racist,but unless there is a american voice, when I am home, I rarely answer anyway. If it is important, they can leave voicemail. I screen and have visual voicemail.  It may be a robocall too. Be careful, they can record cut and edit, so dont say yes or no. In my line of work, I have to be careful about hanging up or ignoring ANY phone calls or messages, no matter if they sound foreign or not. With HUD housing, sometimes they send "testers" in or call pretending to be potential applicants to see if any discriminaton is involved. I also try to remember that just like any job, there is another person on the other side who are just trying to earn a buck and feed a family, so I try to be polite. They probably know that you have no interest in a timeshare in a Florida swamp or buying cleaners. But that is what they are trying to sell that day.

Esteemed Contributor

I sometimes don't answer the phone and no message is left. When I do answer and they don't say anything I say I  don't buy anything over the phone so goodbye. If you can't answer I say I don't need anything so please stop calling.