Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Keep Extra Money In Your House

Yes, I always have some money in the house. Life happens & I want to be prepared.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I always shake my head when people ask how do "children" "let" their parents. . . 

One of the biggest problems is you have no authority to make your parents do what is good for them or what they need to do.  You can't unless you can have them legally declared icompetent.  And that's not always an easy thing to do for many reasons, one being they can fool the judge. 

@Sooner , a judge isn't the one they have to fool.  A doctor is.  I'm not sure how things work but here, to declare someone incompetent and get guardianship or conservatorship over them, a doctor has to exam them and declare them legally competent.  The judge has nothing to do with it. 

A doctor has no authority to give you control of their finances and such.  At least that wasn't the way it worked for a friend of mine.  He said her mother was incompetent, but that wasn't the end of the story. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Ever since the Northridge earthquake (we lived near it but were spared damage), we do keep some cash in the house. You couldn't use credit cards for at least a few days.

@suzyQ3 

Ditto .....  and the recommendation't is that you have $50 or $100 in singles ..... don't ever expect anyone to be able to make change for you.

(The point was made ...   what  if you wanted a $5 item when the power was still out, and your smallest bill was a $20  ... you could either pay $20 for that $5 item, or go somewhere else.  Having a stash of singles would be preferable)

Respected Contributor

Indeed we do.

Honored Contributor

I have a few "stashes"  .....  extra cash in my home and wallet ......   and a secret change purse in my car with change for parking meters and paper money for gas or parking ramp charges.     Makes me feel secure in case of an emergency.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I always shake my head when people ask how do "children" "let" their parents. . . 

One of the biggest problems is you have no authority to make your parents do what is good for them or what they need to do.  You can't unless you can have them legally declared icompetent.  And that's not always an easy thing to do for many reasons, one being they can fool the judge. 

@Sooner , a judge isn't the one they have to fool.  A doctor is.  I'm not sure how things work but here, to declare someone incompetent and get guardianship or conservatorship over them, a doctor has to exam them and declare them legally competent.  The judge has nothing to do with it. 

A doctor has no authority to give you control of their finances and such.  At least that wasn't the way it worked for a friend of mine.  He said her mother was incompetent, but that wasn't the end of the story. 

In my state the Judge makes the final decision and signs the Order Appointing Permanent Guardian.  An Attorney Ad Litem is appointed to protect the incapacitated/incompetent person and all review a Doctors findings but the Judge does have the final authority.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know people who hate banks and keep thousands of dollars in their home for fear of another bank closure or major power outage that would prevent them from getting their money.  But really if something major had happened like the grid going down, would stores be open for business?  I wouldn't think so, not in the dark with no way to take your money because their registers would be down.  Airlines too, so with all the thousands of dollars stashed away, they couldn't even fly anywhere or pump gas into their car either.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Ever since the Northridge earthquake (we lived near it but were spared damage), we do keep some cash in the house. You couldn't use credit cards for at least a few days.

@suzyQ3 

Ditto .....  and the recommendation't is that you have $50 or $100 in singles ..... don't ever expect anyone to be able to make change for you.

@Tinkrbl44, so true. Thanks for adding that part.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I’d be curious what state you are referring to, @Lipstickdiva.  I needed letters from a few doctors and a social worker to present to the judge in order to gain a conservatorship on my mother.  It was a formal procedure requiring an attorney.  

Esteemed Contributor

I always keep extra money in a locked drawer -- most of the time I pay cash for gas, groceries, etc. I didn't grow up with credit cards and I only use them at Costco and on-line purchases.