Honored Contributor

Do You Keep Extra Money In Your House

I have an elderly neighbor ( she is 80+ and may have onset of Alzheimer's) and the neighborly relationship is one sided, she asks favors of me, she does nothing for me. Anyway she rings my bell yesterday asking me for $20 for the cab driver, she says she will go to the bank tomorrow (today) and pay me back. She uses me as a safety net, I feel she asks me a lot favors, she'll sometimes lock herself out of her house and comes to me. I have to wonder who takes a cab if they don't have money on them, what if I wasn't home? Also, I have emergency money in my home just in case I need it, I can't believe she didn't have as much as a $20 bill in her house. Luckily she did give me back what she owed me, I really thought she would forget. I feel badly for her, however I feel she is not my responsibility (I have my 91 year old mother I look after). She has a daughter that knows her mom is getting forgetful, I don't understand how she can let her live on her own.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Keep Extra Money In Your House

I wish I had "extra money' anywhere.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

I wish I had "extra money' anywhere.

@deepwaterdotter , I was raised to always have a little extra money on me, I'll stash it in little pockets in my purse and a little in the house. You never know when you'll need it.

Honored Contributor

Ever since the Northridge earthquake (we lived near it but were spared damage), we do keep some cash in the house. You couldn't use credit cards for at least a few days.

@Jordan2, have you thought about contacting her daughter?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2  Why don't you talk with her daughter about  your concerns?  

Edited to add: @suzyQ3  We were thinking alike.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Yes, I have a small stash of money in my home for emergencies and also a stash hidden very well in my car.

The stash in my car has saved me more than once.  Once we went out of town for the day and I forgot my cc and debit cards at home.  We hit really bad weather and had to spend the night in a motel because the roads were not passable.  I was thrilled to remember the stash of money in my car.  It meant we could afford dinner.

Honored Contributor

yes, i definitely have money "set aside" at home plus i have my 52 week money challenge and penny a day money challenge that grows as the year goes by.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Everyone I know has some extra cash put away. My DS and DIL and brother know where mine is...just in case!

The OP should talk to her neighbor and explain she cannot continue to be her safety net and contact the daughter as well.

If the woman called a cab and couldn't pay and you didn't cover it, there would be huge problem.

Contact the daughter and explain all this to HER and suggest she make some kind of plan for her mother.

Esteemed Contributor

We keep extra cash in our home.  It’s a good idea for emergencies, etc.

Honored Contributor

I always like to have cash and a cell phone in my purse. I don't feel comfortable unless I have at least 100 dollars in my wallet. You are a really generous neighbor, you are her safety net, that's what makes heaven on earth for those who are weak and vulnerable. God bless you.