Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Keep Extra Money In Your House

Cut that neighbor off immediately, I keep about $400 in spare change in my house.

Respected Contributor

this why I have estate planner & my daughter to get into my accounts once I loose my mind it's all under control she has to prove I lost my mind, then she is in control talked about it, I want assist living and not cheap but DD will not have that burdeon got it together most don't but understand save your money so your family doesn't have to deal with this. Get it together why let them not understand. this is the way it goes less stress for everyone.

Respected Contributor

got burgler alarm & cash is about $60 at most so rob me lol good is it worth it so do it. everything is on line not much cash go for it. 

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

Cut that neighbor off immediately, I keep about $400 in spare change in my house.

How totally unkind of you.  Hopefully, when and if you are old, you will be cut off immediately by everyone.  I simply cannot understand your attitude and I sincerely hope that I never will understand such.  Only a truly selfish person could adopt this attitude.  Glad you're not my neighbor.

Esteemed Contributor

I keep zilch extra in my car or house.  Never even thought about it.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Regular Contributor

My father and my stepfather both always left at least a $50 bill on the kitchen table in case someone broke in.  Then the drug addict or other loser would just take the money and run.  My mother, a shop o holic would often put the money in her pocketbook, and once she pulled that prank, the house was broken into.  My stepfather was lucky enough to get  home for lunch AFTER the burglar left, The house was ransacked and a butcher knife was left on the counter.  Very scary.  Then they got a security system and my stepfather did not leave money on the table for my goofy mother to steal anymore.

Honored Contributor

My father in law told me to keep extra cash in the house because of emergencies when my son was just a couple of months old.  For a cab in case something happened that I couldn't drive my child to the doctor, etc. So I did.  Never had to use it, but out of habit I still do.  Sometimes if I'm going out and want to pay cash instead of the card, I dip in it.  Not a lot.  Usually around $100.00 or less.  My husband does the same.  I'd rather keep it in the house somewhere safe then carry it on me.

Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

How totally unkind of you.  Hopefully, when and if you are old, you will be cut off immediately by everyone.  I simply cannot understand your attitude and I sincerely hope that I never will understand such.  Only a truly selfish person could adopt this attitude.  Glad you're not my neighbor.

@Perkup , I simply cannot understand  your attitude(s).

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I'm the OP, you can read my story with my elderly neighbor in the first post. My 91 year old mother lives with me, I take care of her. Well my neighbor calls about 2:30, my mother answers, she would like me to drive her to the bank to take out money, she has no money ( she is crying to my mother on the phone). I remind them both today is Sunday the banks are closed. She then asks my mother to borrow $30, she needs it for cab fare to visit her son in rehab ( he had a stroke). Now her son-in-law came to see her yesterday ( he and her daughter live in New Jersey, she actually was crying to my mother her daughter doesn't live close by), why didn't she realize she didn't have money and ask him to take her to the bank? I have my hands full with my own mother,I can't be responsible for my neighbor. If she asks for money again, I will make a phone call to her daughter, she needs to take on more responsibility for her.

Respected Contributor

We keep our savings in the bank. We both carry approximately and maybe $50 to $60 each. We both carry 1 debit card and one major credit card. Credit cards are always paid in full.No debt but mortgage.If my neighbor needed money I would give her $20.
My neighbors are great. They would never ask though.