Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Get Sad This Time Of Year

Yes.  Always have.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

I live alone, and would be lying if I said I never feel sad....it's sad to lose a 40+ year marriage, my beautiful home, having to live far from my children and grands.  I allow the sadness to hang around for a bit, butI try not to stay in that place.

This year my gym adopted some families through the rescue mission, and it was so great to see how the toys, warm clothing, and cute pj's accumulated under the tree there.  Yesterday I was talking to one of the young girls working at the desk..,,she was so excited....they were taking the gifts to the mission that day, and you could see how happy she was to be doing that.

In my family we have lost two siblings the past couple years.  We had our family party last weekend,  and set out a canister if anyone wanted to donate in our dear sisters' names  to help pay off school lunch bills at the local elementary  school.   My sis called yesterday and said she took $125 up to the school yesterday!

I enjoy my simple tree, the lights, and decorations....and the two stories I shared are the kinds of things that help me feel the joy of Christmas....no giddy happiness, but peaceful joy.  I'll take that.

Sending good thoughts to @goldensrbest and Gidget and all who are struggling.  We've all been there...or will be there in the future.  Hoping you all can find some bits of peaceful joy.  🌷

Valued Contributor

Sending love&light to all here who are hurting and are getting through the best they can at holiday time and every day 💖

74209158_2495715680483461_355074975108956160_n.jpg

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

My soul crys for my son ,shane,and my husband, that is every day, i compare how great christmas use to be,and how lonely it is now.

@goldensrbest   I can feel your pain through your words.  I am so very sorry for your losses.

I agree....Goldens are best....I have one lying beside me right now.

...wishing you comfort and peace.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

I certainly understand how you feel. We mostly miss those we’ve lost.  Hugs to everyone. 

Actually, I’ve been thinking about my beautiful mom a lot. Today she would have turned 82. We lost her when she was only 28. I’ve always wondered what it would have been like to have a mom in my life all these years. 

Trusted Contributor

Those who share their lives and what they’re going through REALLY touch my heart. 

Honored Contributor

No, not sad.....just annoyed .

It’s all about presents and buy...go in debt...bla...bla.

I’m always glad when it’s over.  

I’m not bahumbug....I enjoy how people are more friendly...but kids put out these enormous lists of expensive electronic gifts...

Then others go crazy trying to fulfill them!

My one daughter does do that...she doesn’t go crazy... I’m so proud of her.

My middle daughter has been going through a terrible divorce...so I keep telling her to try not to compete...

I have a lot of good memories, no regrets.

My family is healthy....I have a good life.

My friend’s Family makes up these huge lists ( one request was $500).  She spends thousands of dollars...and she’s a widow with no children.  These are her sister’s adult children and their children.

I give her a Seris XM radio subscription.  She loves it.  For her birthday near Christmas I give her Amazon Prime subscription.

Things she uses and makes her happy.  She doesn’t know how to sign up for those herself.

Grandchildren who are teenagers get gift cards from me.  Younger ones get toy my daughters tell me what to get...one toy.

I always feel so sorry for people who are sad.  I wish there were groups who put people like myself together with people who need friends.  

Believe me, I can get anyone smiling and feel cheer even if it’s for a short time.

Respected Contributor

I Wish all of you who are feeling lonely ..

A few what I hope are helpful thoughts:

.. take a walk, breath in the fresh, still air .. or maybe another type of exercise.

.. if possible, consider adopting a pet to share your love with.  They love unconditionally.

.. join a community center - senior center, church, maybe volunteer & help others.

.. sometimes we need to make/ "push" ourselves to try something different.  We never know until we try.

Blessings being sent to you.  Be well.   Heart

Trusted Contributor

I go back and forth @Jordan2 .  Mostlly I'm happy but there are monments.  I'll be reading a card or a song comes on the raido or I'll just be doing nothing and I just start crying.  I think as we get older most of us are like this.  .  

Regular Contributor

It is good that some are courageous and share their sadness this time of year. There is so much pressure to be holly and jolly.  I have many good memories of Christmas but sad feelings as well. It is helpful to know that I am not the only one that is struggling. Thanks for sharing and being supportive.