Honored Contributor

@QVCalm  That is a sad situation.  We had something like that in our family.  Although the mom became Ill with breast cancer, went through rounds of treatment and ultimately died, her son never spoke to her.  I just don't understand how kids can be so angry and bitter toward a parent.  I'm sorry you have to endure this.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I would think they were immature and didn't know how to argue effectively. I used to have a wonderful list from a Psychology magazine that was titled the Art of Arguing and Communication (or something like that) with what makes one effective at this art. Sounds like she desperately needs a copy. She failed needless to say.

I firmly believe that just because someone is a family member it doesn't mean they have to be in our lives. Would it be nice and ideal? Yes, but toxic people are toxic people doesn't matter if they are blood or not. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@felinemom wrote:

Would you consider it disrespectful if a family member was disagreeing with you on private FB and at end of conversation they  posted a huge yellow face with green vomit spewing out ?  I just laughed and signed off. It did upset me.  Felinemom

No, it wouldn't bother me.   I'd take it as a joke.   It was probably meant as a joke.

I don't take a lot to heart on FB or elsewhere.  I prefer to think the best of people.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a cousin that would have post after post bashing ALL Police.....My Dad was a Police Officer and he knew it.We all grew up together

I ended up finding out that his last girlfriend got a restraining order against him and she had to have the Police come a few times to enforce it. Finally my brother called him out on it and he deleted his FB account.

I was excited to connect again with some family I hadn't kept in touch with.....and then I realized that maybe it was better not to with some of them....

Respected Contributor

Re: Disrespectful

[ Edited ]

I just see it as extremely immature and so would not feel disrespected, but it's hard to know how I would feel in your position because of not knowing your relationship or the subject matter.  It sounds like someone I would choose not to communicate too often with, if at all.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCalm wrote:

I haven't had that exact FB post/pic, but my son and daughter disrespect me 100% by avoiding any personal mention about them--to me--and never in more than 7 years have never mentioned that I am a FB Friend, my birthday, Mother's day, any holiday. ALL their post leave me OUT. Yet, it is the only place I can see them, know how they are, where they work, where they live, who they love. And, I ask for more--just enough to keep a sense of family connection--so I keep my post 'personally open' when I message on their FB page/email. I must keep the door open to them, but my heart is breaking.......

I'm so sorry.  I hope that someday their children do the same thing to them. What ingrates!  

Honored Contributor

Since you wrote "disrespectful" and it did bother you, totally ignore that person and consider the source from where it came. Don't waste a precious moment of yours on this.

Honored Contributor

Diisgusting for certain; not sure if I'd feel disrespected.  I'm pretty sure I have to feel some respect for the other person before s/he has the power to make me feel disrespected.  I don't give a whole lot of credence to people who act like drunken teen-agers trying to impress a crowd of equals.  

Family or not, I wouldn't be initiating contact with that person very soon.

Honored Contributor

That is offensive.... but what else can you expect from FAMILY. I would BAN that member of my family from posting me on facebook ever again.

Respected Contributor

Re: Disrespectful

[ Edited ]

Here are some perfect examples of why none of my family is on Facebook - DH and I made a decision years ago to stay out of this disaster zone.  I am sure there are a few out there who genuinely enjoy the experience, but even the best of friends and relatives can get a little wordy and offensive at times and we choose to avoid the exposure.