Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 

Happy to know you are in the area.  A reporter and editor was my dream job...but never happened!  

And, next week the cherry blossoms will bloom with few visitors!

While I am not native, I do love it, and worked in DC for 38 years.  Yes, I am retired as well.  No long commutes any more and I thank the Lord every day.

Let's hope we are both wrong, but only time will tell.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes the young (in this case) need a wake-up call.  Maybe Covid 19 will be it.  When one of them comes down with it or gives it to a loved one or friend.....maybe then???

It's sad and concerning when you look at these pictures and see so many selfish people congregated together in one place.  If I had to caption the picture it would be.......

It's All About Me

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

Young people think that nothing can touch them.  I hold parents responsible for letting these kids even go down there.  For what?  To get drunk and that is all.

@Jinlei, I think that they are a little past the age in which parents have that kind of control. They can advise and advise and advise again, but ultimately, other than pulling financial card, that's about it.

===

So true @suzyQ3 . These 'kid's are the age of my dad when He was called up to serve in WWII.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D  This behavior is inexcusable, and worse is the county allowing it to happen!  If there were sharks in the water, the county would be clearing the beaches quickly.  What the heck are they thinking??

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

At least four more South Florida cities will shut down their beaches to help contain the coronavirus.

Boca Raton, Deerfield Beach, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea and Pompano Beach all say they intend to close their beaches Wednesday as part of their emergency plans.

In recent days, other cities have already told beachgoers to keep away. They included Dania Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, Hollywood and Miami Beach.

~SunSentinel

Respected Contributor

It's not just the young people. I see plenty of adults jamming themselves into grocery stores.  200 people wait with bated breath outside Costco 30 minutes before the store opens.  

Honored Contributor

I never was a big fan of living or retiring to Florida.

I made the right decision.

On the news today, though, a big shot was saying all the beaches are shut down and the bars and drinking water holes are being told to close too.

they got the message.

Esteemed Contributor

Some people,at any age,are incapable of doing the right thing for whatever reason. This is where "leadership" comes in. Sorely lacking at this perilous time. Confusion and finger pointing reign.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  wrote

People could DIE because of this. To me, 'disgusting' is an appropriate word choice. I'm blaming the local government in the area of Pinellas County for not closing the beach the way so many other Florida counties and municipalities have done. Imagine what would happen if just ten of those beach goers were infected and each wore a giant sign that said "I've tested positive for coronaviurs." How fast do you think that beach would clear out? Well, the same thing is happening there; just without the sign. 

Florida has 216 cases and has had 7 deaths out of 22 MILLION people, not counting visitors.  

More than that die in auto accidents every day and we just say, "oh, well."   Same bottom line_____ .

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

It's not just the young people. I see plenty of adults jamming themselves into grocery stores.  200 people wait with bated breath outside Costco 30 minutes before the store opens.  

You're right.  Please know that whenever I post about millenials or seniors, I hope people understand I'm not calling out one group. There's good and bad in both and I think when most of us post we understand that (hopefully). 

I have wonderful grandsons (mid to late 20's) that offer their help and show concern  for us on a regular basis.  The young couple across the street from us have offered to get us groceries, bring us food, etc.  They are in their 30's and have an adorable little 3 yr. old girl.....so yes, many fine thoughtful  millenials out there.   It's just when you see so many young people congregated like that and no one is doing anything about it.....well, it sure affects how I would feel about retiring in Florida. I doubt we will ever move again but it does  matter to me how these things are handled. Florida, imo, needs to get their act together on this.  Hopefully, as I write this they have made some changes.