Super Contributor

I have a real problem with people going on vacation right now. The rest of us are doing our part in solidarity against this virus, but those who are traveling for pleasure are throwing it back in our faces.

I just posted this very thing on Facebook and three relationships (one cousin and two friends) have ended as a result, due to their being "insulted". All of them are on vacation that they JUST left for this past weekend and have been busy posting pictures of themselves having a wonderful time. Makes me ill - and p***ed off. And I said so.

Trusted Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

Young people think that nothing can touch them.  I hold parents responsible for letting these kids even go down there.  For what?  To get drunk and that is all.

@Jinlei    I totally agree... In my opinion...this age group hasn't lived long enough or dealt with life experiences that an older generation has.  They apparently don't understand the magnitude of their choices.   

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr . I agree with you!  I gave up flying down to Florida the end of the month to see my 93 year old mother...who know when I'll see her again. (I can't drive that far).

I can't get over how selfish some can be...and young people can get deathly ill too.  Not just those who are older & with a pre-existing condition.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

I believe FL Governor enacted some type of order today regarding beaches.

Honestly, the subject line  "disgusting" to me is a little over the top.  As long as the beaches are open you can hardly blame the spring breakers or others for enjoying it with this beautiful weather.  

I was at our pool again today -- totally full of kids, grandkids of all ages with grandparents, etc. all having a good time🙂

Valued Contributor

I think it's pure ignorance to go to a packed community pool at this time.   But as many here have said, you can't fix you-know-what.   

Here's another example of common sense not at work.

There was an interview in the NY Post today from a car rental agency employee, saying how busy his agency has been.  Seems NY'ers who are not going to work and have kids off from school think it's a good idea to pack up the fam and take a road trip.  Woohoo!  Vacation time.

Travel around, put yourself, kids and others at risk.

Way to go!

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

I think it's pure ignorance to go to a packed community pool at this time.   But as many here have said, you can't fix you-know-what.   

Here's another example of common sense not at work.

There was an interview in the NY Post today from a car rental agency employee, saying how busy his agency has been.  Seems NY'ers who are not going to work and have kids off from school think it's a good idea to pack up the fam and take a road trip.  Woohoo!  Vacation time.

Travel around, put yourself, kids and others at risk.

Way to go!

@Tessa Mendoza 

Im pointing out the obvious .... but this pool is not a community pool.  Our pool is private for the sole use of   residents (owners) in our 55+ gated golf community.  

They are allowed a max of 6 visitors &  outsiders are not allowed to use pool unless with resident.  Due to school closing, spring break, etc. there are a lot more people of all ages😳

I'm the minority here under 65 the majority is 77+.  Our manager does not feel the pool area falls under the "CDC guidelines".

It seems you pointed to "can't fix stupid" or no common sense.  I pay big HOAs to use this facility (pool holds 300) and therefore, as long as I keep my distance I believe I'll be fine.  

They test the water every hour for bacteria.  Next week will be worse I'm sure.

I can't imagine this is NOT being addressed orwhen hthey get a plan inplace.  Personally, I'd order no-outside  residents attheinpool.  

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman   Hi, neighbor!  I think it will happen fairly soon here in DC, too.  

I've always followed the news closely since I learned to read in first grade.  My father was a newspaper reporter, and then an editor, so it is in my DNA.

I'm just borrowing the British saying from World War II when I start to get anxious:  Keep calm and carry on! is what I tell myself.

It is a blessing to be retired.  Makes it much easier to cope.

Stay healthy.

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

I don't think Florida in general is taking this thing seriously. 

Between the beaches and the primary election today, it just seems they don't get it. 

I know a lot of people think Ohio overreacted in postponing our primary today, but we really can't have it both ways. We cannot say we need to isolate, but let people crowd into polls and beaches. 

Those states that held primaries today I think really compromised the process. There had to be millions that didn't vote, only for fear of exposing themselves to the virus. I see it as voter suppression.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

Young people think that nothing can touch them.  I hold parents responsible for letting these kids even go down there.  For what?  To get drunk and that is all.

@Jinlei Yes you can blame the authorities, but more than that the responsibility lies with the people who went there.  How come Americans aren't responsible for anything any more?  

Because no one holds people accountable anymore. Not parents, not peers, not the government. We are all about making excuses for every single time and reason people don't live up to their responsibilities. 

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Mindy D 

I believe FL Governor enacted some type of order today regarding beaches.

Honestly, the subject line  "disgusting" to me is a little over the top.  As long as the beaches are open you can hardly blame the spring breakers or others for enjoying it with this beautiful weather.  

I was at our pool again today -- totally full of kids, grandkids of all ages with grandparents, etc. all having a good time🙂

People could DIE because of this. To me, 'disgusting' is an appropriate word choice. I'm blaming the local government in the area of Pinellas County for not closing the beach the way so many other Florida counties and municipalities have done. Imagine what would happen if just ten of those beach goers were infected and each wore a giant sign that said "I've tested positive for coronaviurs." How fast do you think that beach would clear out? Well, the same thing is happening there; just without the sign.