Honored Contributor

I can't believe the authorities in4CA53A58-CC06-46F5-A0DA-3CD6DFE755B2.jpeg

Pinellas County and Clearwater Beach allowed huge gatherings of spring breakers all over the beaches there. Throngs of people in close proximity.  Beaches in S. FL  and in many Florida counties are closed to help contain the virus. It's incomprehensible that a local government could be this lax when it comes to public health. This virus spreads exponentially. The only way to slow the exponential spread is through social distancing, home confinement and isolation of the infected once tested. What has happened there will create a multitude of cases, as these people return home and spread the virus. We are on the tipping point in terms of containment and this has probably pointed us in the wrong direction. Irresponsible, selfish, outrageous and disgusting. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I can't believe the authorities in4CA53A58-CC06-46F5-A0DA-3CD6DFE755B2.jpeg

Pinellas County and Clearwater Beach allowed huge gatherings of spring breakers all over the beaches there. Throngs of people in close proximity.  Beaches in S. FL  and in many Florida counties are closed to help contain the virus. It's incomprehensible that a local government could be this lax when it comes to public health. This virus spreads exponentially. The only way to slow the exponential spread is through social distancing, home confinement and isolation of the infected once tested. What has happened there will create a multitude of cases, as these people return home and spread the virus. We are on the tipping point in terms of containment and this has probably pointed us in the wrong direction. Irresponsible, selfish, outrageous and disgusting. 

You can't fix stupid. I was reading about the reaction to the Spanish flu when it hit California. There were people then who simply denied and wouldn't listen.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Young people think that nothing can touch them.  I hold parents responsible for letting these kids even go down there.  For what?  To get drunk and that is all.

Honored Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

Young people think that nothing can touch them.  I hold parents responsible for letting these kids even go down there.  For what?  To get drunk and that is all.

@Jinlei, I think that they are a little past the age in which parents have that kind of control. They can advise and advise and advise again, but ultimately, other than pulling financial card, that's about it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I can understand people getting cabin fever, especially when it's nice out, and humans are social creatures, but one has to think before doing.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

@Jinlei, I think that they are a little past the age in which parents have that kind of control. They can advise and advise and advise again, but ultimately, other than pulling financial card, that's about it.

suzyQ3, I thought of that after I wrote that line.  Most of these young people are in their early 20's.  I guess not many would listen to their parents!  Stay well everyone!

Honored Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

@Jinlei Yes you can blame the authorities, but more than that the responsibility lies with the people who went there.  How come Americans aren't responsible for anything any more?  

Honored Contributor

That is so wrong.  Just about everything has been shut down in my New England state. 

I also just got an alert from my former CA community, saying that a shelter in place order is now in effect.  Many beach communities there, as well. At least they're taking this seriously 

Esteemed Contributor

It's ridiculous.  This week we have no school, yet there are large groups of kids (elementary & middle school age) walking together all over the neighborhood or playing close contact sports like football, basketball, and soccer.  I can't believe the parents seemingly have no problems with that.

Respected Contributor

They can do it because no one will stop them. They said here if people don't listen the police won;t come. So people will do as they please. And these spring break kids are young & stupid.