Esteemed Contributor

Re: Difficulty focusing while driving

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

@zitawins 

I also have those lenses, but have them checked every SIX months . . . usually changed annually. How do you possibly go over a year without a check-up? And what's with driving while closing one eye?

Your insurance agent would cancel you yesterday if he/she know that juicy bit of information. WOW. 

@BirkiLady- The poster Spent2much said that about driving with one eye closed not zitawins.

Respected Contributor

For Heaven's Sake, STOP RESEARCHING.  Get to an eye doctor as soon as you can get an appointment

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't buy anything before having my eyes examined. Explain your problem to the eye dr and see what he/she says first.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes the eye doctor first!   And heed the advice of @hckynutjohn , mental focus is of the utmost importance.

And that story of the woman who had the infection probably had an undiagnosed heart murmur in which she did not take the necessary premedication of an antibiotic prior to her dental cleaning.  Therefore that infection most likely started in the heart valve.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spent2much wrote:

@Cakers3   LOL  No, I just close it for a second so that I have only one image, instead of two.

@spent2much   So you close the eye for "a second" and all is well after that one second?  Since you said your prescription is adjusted with each eye exam,  get another exam pronto.

You must have a restriction on your driver's license indicating you drive with eyeglasses.  Therefore you need to wear them when renewing your license.  If you fail, you will need to have that  eye exam and show proof that your vision has been corrected. 

I'm not picking at you-I just think you are rolling the dice with this "close one eye for a second" technique.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

If your ophthalmologist has ruled out any problem, and you still have trouble focusing when driving, please see a neurologist.  Self-diagnosis is too risky. In the meantime, do not drive -- for your own safety and that of others.

Respected Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

@zitawins  I had never heard of CONVERGENCE INSUFFICIENCY before reading your post.  I'm 73 and have lived with double vision all my life.  Prism in my eyeglass lenses corrects my vision, however.  Every time I have an eye exam (every 1 to 2 years), though, the prism has to be increased.  Distance vision is more affected than close up vision.  If I'm overdue for an eye exam and I absolutely NEED to see ONE of something instead of two, i.e. in traffic, I just close one eye.  Does that work for you?

Driving with one eye closed is extremely dangerous. Please don't encourage the OP to consider doing that.  You admit you're already overdue for an eye exam -- please see your doctor and in the meantime stay off the road for your safety and everyone else's.

Valued Contributor

@zitawins 

I had the same problem with my eyes and concentration as you.
I had to pull over into a parking lot and call my sister.

This happened a months ago in the summer.

In 2018 I had cataract surgery in both eyes, all was well until late 2020. 
I called my eye surgeon who also did the cataract surgery.

I went in a week later and he used a laser to correct both eyes and I walked out happy. I could see clearly and my driving and concentration is back to normal.

The procedure didn't take more than a few seconds and was pain free.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the good comments and suggestions. I will call my eye doctor this week!

zitawins