Honored Contributor

Here's another for all you former and current southerners re slime and other interesting things!😄

nd I don't mean cajun but ok we can include you too!

My stepmother (1 of 4!🙄) used to make a baked oyster dish. I don't really think this is a southern dish?

I tried to eat an oyster once but cldn't but she was the best cook and I think it was good because she smothered it with bread crumbs. I wouldn't eat it now though.

And my southern grandmother-oh wow-she made the best probably the most unhealthy but delicious things ever! Stewed tomatoes on toasted baked buttered and sugar bread, the best fried chicken ever with white gravey over white bread-no recipe you just had to practice for years-once I got it right! Chess pie! Strawberry fluff. Collards (cooked to death all day long), biscuits, sausage, eggs in a muffin pan.

We got to pick what we wanted for our birthday-either breakfast or dinner.

And pepper on most things as much as you can pour!

Once though when her eyesight was no longer too great we all took one bite of the chicken and as my bil said "I think she poured the whole state of Utah in there!" We were drinking large glasses of water until we couldn't drink anymore.

Those were the days!😊

What you got for those great memories?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Here's another for all you former and current southerners re slime and other interesting things!

[ Edited ]

I'm not Southern, but I lived in Texas for 5 years.  

I was sold the first time I ate Chess pie.  Can't find it anywhere here in the Northeast where I live.  Keep telling myself to make one.

My grandmother was the best cook, particularly baking.

Her sugar coated fasnachts and cottage cheese strudel were to die for.  When the fasnachts began to get stale the next day, I would stick one or two in the oven.  The outside would get real crispy, inside real soft.   

She made the best plum dumplings.  Wish I had the recipe.  She made some kind of dough cut in circles, placed a pitted plum with sugar and cinnamon in the center.  Pulled the dough around the plum and sealed.  Boiled in water.  Drained.  Then poured a syrupy plum sauce over them.  

She also made a yummy plum cake.  Plums over a cake batter, then she poured a sweet sour cream mixture over the top.  

Her soups, oh that chicken rivel soup, were excellent.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Here's another for all you former and current southerners re slime and other interesting things!

My mother was a great baker. I miss her meringue kisses, the home made fruitcake, her lemon meringue pie, mince pie....her madilene muffins, chewy and full of walnuts.

My Mom's fried chicken was to die for! Took a whole day, 4 or 5 chickens, egg washed and dredged in flour, cans of crisco in large aluminum copper fry bottom pans. She also made pork chops and transparent onions smothered in gravy. The pork melted off the bone. Her swedish meatballs over egg noodles and her meatloaf and lasagna were top notch.

I miss those dishes. She made a scallops alfredo type dish that her guests loved....it made me nauseous. Can't win 'em all. I miss her and I miss her cooking.

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay  I love your post ! Born and raised in the south. I  Wonder if my mother and your Grandmother was around the same age. My mother was born in 1924 and my father in 1917. My mother was between  36 and 38 when my brother and i came along. 

I would like your grandmothers stewed tomatoes and bread for sure. My mother use to make stewed tomatoes and rice, had a very distinctive sweet taste. She alos made a sort of brunsick stew that was very sweet. Homemade biscuits every night was something my father had to have. And yes we loved the collards, still love them. Homemade chicken and pastry and chicken salad with pieces of aplle in it. Everything cut up by hand, no food processor. Everyone loved her meatloaf and fried chicken. Every once in a while she cooked oysters just for my dad. Either fried of oyster stew. 

I have only eaten oysters as an adult once or twice. The first time was on a trip to Savannah with my husband. He ordered oysters on the half shell, put some kind of sauce on it and crackers. I tried a couple and it was not as bad as i thought but have not eaten anymore since. Except one Thanksgiving, his sister made a dressing ( yes dressing not stuffing) That had oysters in it. 

Growing up I loved some grits and eggs.

We always had fresh vegetables from the garden, freezing them for winter use. 

Thanks for such a lovely post, lots of good memories.

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay  My mother also made the chess pie, very decadent and german chocolate cake.and an orange slice cake, had a lot of nuts, orange slices and orange juice was poured over the top of it when  it was cooling. Sated very moist, never dried out.

Honored Contributor

@webbgarner1,

Yes, my parents were about the same age!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I'll pass on the oysters, too.  Smiley Happy

I like seafood, but that stops at oysters, clams (except chowder), mussels, and all that sort.

I also don't do raw.  Need to cook the meat, so no sushi for me either.

Disclaimer:  Yes, I'm a very picky eater.  Some know why (childhood horrors).     But, what I like I really like.  Some of what I don't like I've never tasted but that's ok.  It is.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@candyagain,

That crisco in a pan made me have tears with happy memories!

Course my grandmother got kind of ornery in her last years, and maybe always so, but maybe we all will a little but I hope not a lot!

My father said he believed she didn't like anyone but him before she died.

I guess she was just mad at the world.

But nevertheless what a happy place of good memories.

And all of Y'all😄 posts sound so darn good. I'm kind of drooling here!

And as living half in the north and half in the south, my northern part says you guys. I might say you all, but can never quite make myself say y'all!

Though people born and raised in SC wow, you can really hear an accent.

Tennessee has a beautiful lilting accent quality, GA too. NC is all over the place with transients (aliens lol from NY, and all over!)

But I have close family in NY so I can make fun of them.

Honored Contributor

Huh?  I am not southern and no one in my family ia either.  My mother was PA Dutch....German.

All of the foods mentioned are PA Dutch foods here in PA.

Small world, for sure.

Honored Contributor

I think I have to take a long winter's nap now.

Thank you all for such great posts!

I loved reading them and so nice to read we have so many similar memories-all our mothers and grandmothers.💞