Valued Contributor

Difficulty focusing while driving

Has anyone experienced this phenomenon: I am having ttrouble focusing while driving. I have to really work on watching the white line on the right. The middle (yellow) lane tends to merge over to my side of the road. I may not be describing this correctly, but it's not quite double vision, but close.

I have researched this and it's called CONVERGENCE INSUFFICIENCY. The Mayo website says it's common in children, but adults can develop it too. They recommend eye exercises and I am considering buying the computer package of exercises to assist. Prism glasses don't seem to help. The weird thing is I had an eye check last summer and no double vision showed up. My eyes (after cataract surgery a few years ago) are 20/20 so only closeup glasses are needed.

Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Difficulty focusing while driving

[ Edited ]

Please allow others to transport you if possible.  Is calling an Uber an alternative?  It is important that you do not accidently harm yourself and/or others.

Respected Contributor

My daughter has Duane's Syndrome meaning that one of her eyes does not turn outward.  She has convergence insufficiency due to this.  Convergence is usually not tested at a typical eye exam unless you report a problem like double vision. Your eye doctor will use prisms as part of his examination of convergence. My daughter went through a course of vision therapy but it was not helpful for her due to her Duane's Syndrome but vision therapy excercises can help correct it.  

Frequent Contributor

@zitawins Rather than self diagnose, you should make an appointment with your eye doctor to determine what is causing the change.  Your vision isn't something to take chances with. 

Respected Contributor

@zitawins It could be a problem with your cataract surgery. I think you should see the doctor who did the surgery to see if the replacement is OK. In the meantime, driving does not seem like a wise thing to do. Good luck and please let us know how you are doing after you have seen your doctors.

Esteemed Contributor

Like others have stated. I believe that  you should speak with your eye doctor and explain to him what you are experiencing. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@zitawins,

We found out with my mother and her driving that she was losing a lot of her peripheral vision which happens to must of us as we age.

She would veer over to the left curb or right curb and insist she was fine whereas I was clutching the door for dear life! 

So it could be that and I don't think that comes up in a normal eye exam. Hers didn't.

At any rate, it sounds kind of dangerous and if it is something that can't be corrected, it may be best to find other ways of transportation? I know this is a huge step but its the safe thing to do for yourself and others. I hope it is something that can be corrected for you.

and usually in adults, convergence insufficiency is diagnosed after a concussion or brain injury.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@zitawins   Please, please, please check with your eye doctor for suggestions as far as what to do, not on replies from this board.  We are not eye doctors. 

Your vision is so precious, you don't want anything to happen to it.  Please check on it as soon as possible.  

Honored Contributor

I am sure the OP will contact her eye doctor. She just wanted input from anyone else experiencing the same problem she is.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@zitawins  I had never heard of CONVERGENCE INSUFFICIENCY before reading your post.  I'm 73 and have lived with double vision all my life.  Prism in my eyeglass lenses corrects my vision, however.  Every time I have an eye exam (every 1 to 2 years), though, the prism has to be increased.  Distance vision is more affected than close up vision.  If I'm overdue for an eye exam and I absolutely NEED to see ONE of something instead of two, i.e. in traffic, I just close one eye.  Does that work for you?

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!