Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Seems like a lot of young professionals are having destination weddings because their friends and coworkers have the money to travel. I would never ask or expect my friends to put out thousands of dollars to go to my wedding. We were invited to one in Grand Cayman last spring....and included in the invitation was a short list of hotels and rates...so we could book our lodging. It also said not to stay at the same resort where the wedding will be since that will be reserved for the wedding party and friends of the bride's family.  Who are we????

I don't think I like anyone that much. 

Honored Contributor

No, never attended.  My niece was married on a beach somewhere down south ... I didn't go.

Respected Contributor

Reality TV can be thanked for this I think.  Just like HGTV can be thanked for setting expectations that the only acceptable first home is completely updated to today's trends including gourmet kitchen, owners suite and spa bathrooms.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Destination weddings

[ Edited ]

The couple should have their destination wedding with their immediate family. After, have a reception where most of the guests live/hometown.

I would never attend a destination wedding.. If I am going to spend that money, I am going to go where I want to go./have my own itinerary.

Selfish people.

edit: typo

Honored Contributor

I think the intent of a destination wedding is to "kill two birds with one stone." The couple chooses the locale where they want to honeymoon. The number of wedding attendees will be reduced, b/c of the expense of travel and hotel, not to mention many people won't fly anywhere.

So the couple saves $$$$$ on the wedding, and then can begin their honeymoon immediately afterward. A win/win for them, but not necessarily for those they invited.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

I have been invited to one.  It was one of my husband's brothers, and at the time, his THIRD wedding.  He has subsequently had another marriage and divorce (his 4th).

The location was Hawaii, as they were into scuba diving.  Since we were new parents, no way would we go.  One of his brothers (no kids) did attend.

Overall, I find them extremely selfish.  Most people cannot pause their lives to go out of town for days for a wedding.  So they shouldn't EXPECT too many people to attend.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

The only destination wedding I would attend would be my own daughter and as long as her grandparents are alive it's not an option because they can't travel due to back and leg issues.

I wouldn't even do it for my nieces.

Honored Contributor

Re: Destination weddings

[ Edited ]

If thèy want to get married in some exotic location..they should do it.....then come back home and host a reception/party for their friends and family, at their expense. 

Honored Contributor
Apparently sending thank you notes is an archaic and extinct practice.
Respected Contributor

We were once invited to a destination wedding, but declined.  It was scheduled for right after Christmas and a location we had no desire to visit.

When did weddings become the circuses they are now?  Dresses that cost thousands of dollars, high priced venues, etc.

A good friend was invited to a wedding she didn't attend, but got the details from a guest.  First of all, the bride's family is quite wealthy, so the extravagance may have been nothing to them.  The guest who gave my friend the details has family who are florists.  He took photos of the floral arrangements and decorations.  His family member told him the cost, just for flowers, had to be $100,000.  They had long stemmed white roses hanging individually from the ceiling!  It went on from there.

It seems each bride has to have a more expensive dress, better venue, food, and flowers than her friend's wedding. Weddings are an industry today.  I'm glad we eloped!