Esteemed Contributor

If one has a destination wedding, they either don't want people to attend or they don't care whether or not you attend.

Of course, some people think so highly of themselves that they think people would be honored to spend a lot of time and money to attend their destination wedding.

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

If one has a destination wedding, they either don't want people to attend or they don't care whether or not you attend.

Of course, some people think so highly of themselves that they think people would be honored to spend a lot of time and money to attend their destination wedding.

Yes, unfortunately, some people are that egotistical.

Respected Contributor
Husband's niece did this...only her parents and siblings on both sides showed up. One great aunt and uncle...plus h and I...she wasn't happy all the other aunts and uncles didn't go. I thought she was thoughtless and expecting others to drive 9hrs or more plus 200.00 per night hotel and give her a gift of more money was very bridezilla like behavior.

I told my husband Never again ...if it's not local we are not going. Heck husbands other brother didn't go even.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Destination weddings

[ Edited ]

Many years ago, we were invited to a Friday night wedding. Because of the time and distance, we didn't attend. Many others didn't either for the same reason. Some of the relatives of the couple weren't too happy about that, but what did they expect?

Esteemed Contributor

It's another story when the parents or the couple foot the bills for the guests to attend a dentination wedding. Amazing how "friends of family" (don't even know the wedding couple) send in their RSVP's to attend. We found out when our son and DIL decided upon a wedding in Hawaii. Yep - The two sets of parents paid for the flights of two couples who considered themselves "friends" whom neither family knew very well. We now refer to them as "vacation moochers". Their gifts to our son and DIL? Less than $200 gift per couple for a week in Hawaii and round-trip flight. (Husbands half considered changing their flight to a one-way!)

Gotta love that memory of four older gutsy guests who complained about the outdoor ceremony on the beach, the reception with drinks in coconuts and exotic fruits as appetizers (all the time enjoying their all inclusive trip to Hawaii). Go figure.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady

Why would someone send an invite to people and then get upset when they accept the invitation?

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Destination weddings

[ Edited ]

@Daisy SunflowerThe two couples didn't know my son or future DIL. We thought they were friends of the other parents; the other parents thought they were friends of ours. They kind of weaseled their invitations via our adult children who didn't know better (not having lived at home for many years). 

The worst part was they complained about the ceremony on the beach, the exotic fruits as appetizers and the drinks served in coconuts! They were old, grumpy people. All other guests were young friends of our adult children and immediate family. 

Clearly, they were out of place and their element in behavior, manners and apparel. No one knew (or cared) after we realized what they had done for the free week in Hawaii. It truly takes all kinds. We'll laugh about them forever and both of their unused wedding gifts! 

ETA: I didn't say anyone was "upset". That was YOUR word. Don't read things into my post. Everyone had a lot of humor out of their bold, gutsy RSVP. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady

Sorry, I didn't mean it the way you took it. Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you're saying.

Honored Contributor
They should have known from rsvp responses that few would come to the wedding; I wouldn't attend one on Frid night either if it would be so disruptive to my schedule.
Honored Contributor
Makes you sorry you are generous cometimes....some people are takers, no matter who it offends!