Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess

I don’t like the idea. Save the destination for the honeymoon. I have no desire to spend tons of money to go to someone’s destination wedding. 

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

We had a destination wedding when we married. It was small by design. 40 people, including the photographers and the band. We wanted only very close friends and relatives. We invited 80, knowing many would not go, which was fine with us. We knew the people who would go would be the ones we loved the best. It was 3 of the best days of our lives.

p.s. We asked only for the gift of the guests' presence and everyone obliged.

@bathina  Wow.  Then why didn't you just invite the people you loved "best" and call it a day?  I'm shocked by that answer, I'll have to admit.  I guess the less loved knew their place. . . 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

Seems like a lot of young professionals are having destination weddings because their friends and coworkers have the money to travel. I would never ask or expect my friends to put out thousands of dollars to go to my wedding. We were invited to one in Grand Cayman last spring....and included in the invitation was a short list of hotels and rates...so we could book our lodging. It also said not to stay at the same resort where the wedding will be since that will be reserved for the wedding party and friends of the bride's family.  Who are we????

Maybe the key is to invite the young professionals still living with their parents so they can afford to come. . . It seems there is a core group who will attend and a less loved second tier who probably won't come but should they decide to you can rest easy that they won't be around the wedding party.  Now I think I've heard it all.  Nah.  Tomorrow something else will surprise me!  LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@Jackson08 wrote:

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote: 

You said those who "loved" you the best went to your wedding.  Sorry, I have to think it's more like those who could "afford" it the best attended.  Please don't equate love with money.  Not everyone can afford to lay out excessive   amounts of cash for your dream wedding.  LuLuBelle2

I agree 100%.

I can assure you, the ones who loved us the best were in attendance. I know this for a fact, because I was there. And so were they.

@bathina, well good for you and those who "love you best."  I sure hope the 50% who didn't attend know how they shake out in your heart and mind where they're concerned .  Not to be repetitive, but not everyone can fly off for a destination dream wedding, and it has nothing to do with "love" but the sheer economics of mortgages, car payments, college funds and day to day living expenses.  Best to you and hubby, LuLu

I agree. Not everyone can afford to go to a destination wedding, and that's perfectly fine. Would never expect anyone to  go to any wedding if it was going to break the budget. Unlike the bridezilla in the OP, we were not insulted if people couldn't come, nor did we expect or want any gifts. Thank you for the good wishes. We've been married for 7 years now.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@bathina wrote:

We had a destination wedding when we married. It was small by design. 40 people, including the photographers and the band. We wanted only very close friends and relatives. We invited 80, knowing many would not go, which was fine with us. We knew the people who would go would be the ones we loved the best. It was 3 of the best days of our lives.

@bathina  Wow.  Then why didn't you just invite the people you loved "best" and call it a day?  I'm shocked by that answer, I'll have to admit.  I guess the less loved knew their place. . . 

Because we both had parents who wanted to add their picks to the guest list. Their picks included people we hadn't seen or heard from in years. My husband also had lots of acquaintances who expected invites. Not unusual when planning a wedding.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@bathina wrote:

Because we both had parents who wanted to add their picks to the guest list. Their picks included people we hadn't seen or heard from in years. My husband also had lots of acquaintances who expected invites. Not unusual when planning a wedding.

I understood what you were saying @bathina.

You are kind to explain it.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Ms tyrion2. I appreciate you saying so!

Honored Contributor

Destination weddings should be for immediate family and very close friends and the couple should at least pay for some of the expenses to have the privilege of their family and close friends attend.  No other invitations should sent.  Presents should not be expected either.  Their attendance should be present enough!!  It's just a way to get gifts from the many others invited who they know will not be able or want to attend!!  No wedding should be just a "gimme" event.  It also seems that those that do this are bragging and want to show off how well to do they are.  My niece and her fiance went to Mexico and had a private wedding and honeymoon  and her mother hosted a dinner for them when they got home.  That's the way to do it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is selfish for couples to do a destination wedding.  They expect people to lay out that kind of money?  Not me.

Respected Contributor

THE WORLD HAS GONE COMPLETELY NUTS ......