Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

If I go to a special place it will be for  vacation.  Period.  Elope.

I see this as part of "entitlement".

Another over used and misused word--entitlement.

There are two choices to make if you are invited to a destination wedding: go or don't go. Pretty simple. 

that being said, a bride or groom shouldn't throw a hissy fit if guests elect not to attend.  I suspect most don't behave like this story (which we don't even know is true).

Super Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

WThe latest "bride-zilla" has vented on Instagram because the 150 guests she expects to spend $3k to attend her wedding in Thailand have not all responded saying they are going.  Actually, only 7 have. To make it less expensive, she moved her wedding location to Hawaii, so it costs a mere $2k. Only 9 have done an rsvp.....she is livid and is also upset that only the cheap stuff has been purchased from her registry...she is tempted to elope now......I think she should have eloped in the first place!

Have you ever attended a "destination wedding"?  Do you think they are a good idea or not?

I have never attended a destination wedding and would not. I think it is very presumptuous for the bride and groom to expect everyone invited wants to go to the destination and can spend the money it would take to do so. if one really wants family and friends to attend, they should make it easy to attend. I think those having these types of weddings really don't care if many come, they just want to go to the destination and get the gifts. I feel sorry for the families of those who plan these types of weddings!

Honored Contributor

Re: Destination weddings

[ Edited ]

I think they're a bit self-indulgent and actually pretty stupid. They only make sense for a certain class of people for whom money is no obect. Unfortunately, they've trickled down to the point where people like the idiot referenced in the OP think they're entitled to have one too, whether or not they or their guests can afford one and whether or not their guests are remotely interested in attending... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

when my cousins son and finance married and had a destination wedding in Mexico we didn't go we already had a vaca planned ourselves and werent going to do both.    They came back and decided that they would then have a reception here to invite all those that didnt come to the destination wedding.  I couldn't beileve it , I mean that WAS the wedding you don't have another I thought !!!!😦 it was very lavish as well I was told,  we couldn't attend that one either had something medical going on.  We sent a generous gift as did others we know and now a year later not even  a thank you note to any of us ! 

Respected Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Another over used and misused word--entitlement.

There are two choices to make if you are invited to a destination wedding: go or don't go. Pretty simple. 

that being said, a bride or groom shouldn't throw a hissy fit if guests elect not to attend.  I suspect most don't behave like this story (which we don't even know is true).

I think the word is overused also. Entitled to what? If you're paying for a wedding, you should be able to do it the way you want. No one forces anyone to go to any wedding- destination or not. When we planned ours, we knew who would go, we knew who would complain and we knew who wouldn't bother to rsvp. Neither me nor my husband threw any type of fit if guests elected not to attend. Everyone we really wanted to be there (and a few unexpected) including my 92 year old aunt, showed up. We couldn't have asked for anything more.

Respected Contributor

I don’t like weddings, anyway, and I would not enjoy a destination wedding with its extended rounds of events. It isn’t about money for us but about how we choose to spend our time and energy. 

Trusted Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote: 

You said those who "loved" you the best went to your wedding.  Sorry, I have to think it's more like those who could "afford" it the best attended.  Please don't equate love with money.  Not everyone can afford to lay out excessive amounts of cash for your dream wedding.  LuLuBelle2

I agree 100%.

Respected Contributor

@Jackson08 wrote:

You said those who "loved" you the best went to your wedding.  Sorry, I have to think it's more like those who could "afford" it the best attended.  Please don't equate love with money.  Not everyone can afford to lay out excessive amounts of cash for your dream wedding.  LuLuBelle2

I agree 100%.

I can assure you, the ones who loved us the best were in attendance. I know this for a fact, because I was there. And so were they.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG  BEST answer I've seen.  

Valued Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@Jackson08 wrote:

You said those who "loved" you the best went to your wedding.  Sorry, I have to think it's more like those who could "afford" it the best attended.  Please don't equate love with money.  Not everyone can afford to lay out excessive   amounts of cash for your dream wedding.  LuLuBelle2

I agree 100%.

I can assure you, the ones who loved us the best were in attendance. I know this for a fact, because I was there. And so were they.

@bathina, well good for you and those who "love you best."  I sure hope the 50% who didn't attend know how they shake out in your heart and mind where they're concerned .  Not to be repetitive, but not everyone can fly off for a destination dream wedding, and it has nothing to do with "love" but the sheer economics of mortgages, car payments, college funds and day to day living expenses.  Best to you and hubby, LuLu