Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva That is it.  The ones who complain are the ones who keep causing the spread and the deaths.  If they would just think about others this spread would be tamped down.

I love the parking lot idea.  Have everyone see the sweet exchange of vows.  Then have a party next year.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@Lipstickdiva That is it.  The ones who complain are the ones who keep causing the spread and the deaths.  If they would just think about others this spread would be tamped down.

I love the parking lot idea.  Have everyone see the sweet exchange of vows.  Then have a party next year.

If taking precautions could be presented in a way that made it seem really selfish and edgy and offensive to sensitive people, I think some would suddenly insist on wearing a mask: "Bleep YES I'm wearing a mask! In your face!"

Something along the line of funny public service announcements created by the ad company that made those comically slightly antisocial Cheetos commercials I keep seeing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I am in New York and every night on the news there is another story about fining and shutting down a business. Great but what about there being some compensation for the owners of these businesses? They are unable to pay the rent and feed their families...

Are you suggesting that the city that is fining the business should then also help the business pay their penalty? That wouldn't make any sense as a deterrent to irresponsible business decisions.

What I am saying @Porcelain is that this is not as simple as closing the business. These business owners are closing one after another many never to return. Why there is no federal help bewilders me. The incentive for them to remain open is to feed their families and pay their rent. They are fighting for their lives in a sense.

It would be so easy for me to condemn them sitting here retired and comfortable. I can see their point of view, that's all....

There is a train of thought by some officials that forcing businesses to close without some sort of compensation amounts to confiscation.

@geezerette, yes, I can well imagine some officials taking that stance given some of the wacky things that comes out of their mouths, all in the name of personal freedom.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Declining a wedding

[ Edited ]

We have declined a wedding and also a funeral because we felt very vulnerable attending either one. The wedding has 200 people invited and the funeral was for a prominent man DH had worked with for many years....he was 75 and most of those who would be attending would be older as well...We learned that over 100 people came and paid their respects inside a chapel....almost all were in their 60s and older. Amazed so many went, given their vulnerability to the virus. We sent flowers and a letter to his widow. I sent a wedding gift to the bride-to-be after receiving the invitation. We are not worried about what others may think about our not attending either event. DH is asthmatic and has other seriocus healt issues....
We don't regret staying home and protecting our health.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declining a wedding

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

We were invited to a b-day party.  The couple rented a hall and were told no more than 30 people.  We declined to go and never gave them a reason.  I'm sure they could figure it out.

Many people who attended that party became ill.  Most aren't getting tested because they have been very vocal about thinking this is all overhyped and a bunch of BS. They also don't want the owners of the hall to get in trouble because in Ohio you are supposed to limit gatherings to 10.    

@Lipstickdiva ..... and these 'non-actions' will result in further spread unfortunately. Ohio has it really bad right now, too.

@Ibby114 , it's my understanding that this is also one of the reasons some hospitals will not allow anyone to visit any patients, even if they are end of life.  How can they trust that the person/people they allow in will quarantine like they promise?  Many of them won't. 

There are people now who are supposed to be in quarantine because they were exposed to someone who tested positive and they are running around and carrying on with life like nothing, possibly spreading this.  And they are the ones sick and tired of the shutdowns and closures.  I guess they don't realize they are also the ones involved in causing what they are complaining about.   

@Lipstickdiva Some people just don't get the concept of asymptomatic transmission- or they're just denying it outright. Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

You do NOT have any reason to be having second thoughts.  Even in non-pandemic times, an invitation is simply an invitation - not a command performance.  It sounds as though you over-explained, and there's really no reason for a long explanation ever.  

But especially now not very much needs to be said.  It makes perfect sense to be concerned about protecting your own health and the health of others, & that should almost go without saying.  If anyone doesn't understand, that's their problem and I wouldn't care what they thought.