Esteemed Contributor

Went to Safeway to buy ingredients for Shrimp Primavera; one of which was fettuccine.  Almost no pasta, period! I settled for Penne. As soon as I got home I placed a mail order with Sams; again no fettuccine!  There was little variety in paste but at least I stocked up on canned goods, laundry detergents but they were out of all dishwasher tabs! I live in a rural community so not many choices ( Safeway and Wal-Mart only).  WM is already low again on paper products but every time I go shopping I get a pkg ( if there is any).  Its going to be a long bleak Winter!

Honored Contributor

Re: And so it begins ( again)

Just heading this off. If everyone who comes here to complain about this thread -- donates a meal to charity instead, we could all make a real difference and help our neighbors.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

No shortages of any kind where I live. All going strong so far. On another note posters will continue to be frustrated if they expect no complaining on threads. We run the gamut on views here in community chat. It's like wrangling cats.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Right on, Porcelain.  It gets old.  Seems like every thread turns into some kind of witch fest or people who hate California, etc.  Tiresome.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a big pasta fan but have always wondered why there are so many types when they all taste the same.  I gave up trying to keep up with them and now keep an ample supply of egg noodles on hand to use as "pasta".  They're much easier to eat.

@patbz.  Could you have used spaghetti?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

No shortages of any kind where I live. All going strong so far. On another note posters will continue to be frustrated if they expect no complaining on threads. We run the gamut on views here in community chat. It's like wrangling cats.

I'm fine with complaining. I do it too. In fact I just complained about the complainers. It helps if you have a little variety to what you complain about and how. And if possible, a sense of humor.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm not a big pasta fan but have always wondered why there are so many types when they all taste the same.  I gave up trying to keep up with them and now keep an ample supply of egg noodles on hand to use as "pasta".  They're much easier to eat.

@patbz.  Could you have used spaghetti?

depends on the sauce, different kinds of sauce = diff shapes 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Just heading this off. If everyone who comes here to complain about this thread -- donates a meal to charity instead, we could all make a real difference and help our neighbors.

What does donating a meal to charity have to do with shortages.  It's not going to alleviate the shortage.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz , a KA stand mixer with the right attachment will solve many a pasta problem! 😉

I live rural, too so I understand the frustrations of limited shopping choices!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624   What @jackthebear said is correct.  The thickness or thinness of the sauce being used in a recipe determines which pasta to choose.

And then for soup (brodo) there are different types: ditalini, orzo, tiny shells, pastina (which is really tiny) often fed to babies with a little butter.

It really does matter both in terms of the taste of the recipe and the outcome.  And Italian pasta uses a different wheat--semolina.

Egg noodles are not the same, though I like and use them as well, but not in the dish the original poster referenced.

Hope your weekend is going well.  We are fortunate here today--it is 63 degrees and sunny.  Hope it hangs on for a few morre days.

aroc3435

Washington, DC