Honored Contributor

Re: And so it begins ( again)

Seems like every time I go shopping online there's always something out of stock and there's no telling when the stuff will be available again. It's frustrating and stressful when I can't find basic food items especially.

Honored Contributor

Too bad you all don't live near an Amish community. I buy all of my pasta (among many other things) from my two local Amish grocery stores. They never run out of varieties and their pasta is all homemade too! Yum!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Too bad you all don't live near an Amish community. I buy all of my pasta (among many other things) from my two local Amish grocery stores. They never run out of varieties and their pasta is all homemade too! Yum!

@ID2  You don't need to live near an Amish community to purchase fresh pasta. It is available in many stores.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm not a big pasta fan but have always wondered why there are so many types when they all taste the same.  I gave up trying to keep up with them and now keep an ample supply of egg noodles on hand to use as "pasta".  They're much easier to eat.

@patbz.  Could you have used spaghetti?

My mother used to make broad noodles and cheese (a mix of pot cheese and farmer cheese). YUMMY!!!!!!!!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Just heading this off. If everyone who comes here to complain about this thread -- donates a meal to charity instead, we could all make a real difference and help our neighbors.

What does donating a meal to charity have to do with shortages.  It's not going to alleviate the shortage.

@CelticCrafter  Nothing but maybe a warm feeling for helping others who don't have enough to eat

@Porcelain 

Honored Contributor

If you have pasta eat and enjoy.  I can't even think that what kind of pasta you have would rank as any sort of "problem" in today's world.

Count your blessings and enjoy whatever noodle is around. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Just heading this off. If everyone who comes here to complain about this thread -- donates a meal to charity instead, we could all make a real difference and help our neighbors.

What does donating a meal to charity have to do with shortages.  It's not going to alleviate the shortage.

There are always people suffering in the world --- people have a right to be frustrated and post here. Not only are people frustrated with shortages of things they want - but being locked up in their homes/apts - and not living a normal life.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2  You don't need to live near an Amish community to purchase fresh pasta. It is available in many stores.

@proudlyfromNJ Very true!  I can (and do) purchase Amish noodles at my local WM and grocery store.

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Kachina624   What @jackthebear said is correct.  The thickness or thinness of the sauce being used in a recipe determines which pasta to choose.

And then for soup (brodo) there are different types: ditalini, orzo, tiny shells, pastina (which is really tiny) often fed to babies with a little butter.

It really does matter both in terms of the taste of the recipe and the outcome.  And Italian pasta uses a different wheat--semolina.

Egg noodles are not the same, though I like and use them as well, but not in the dish the original poster referenced.

Hope your weekend is going well.  We are fortunate here today--it is 63 degrees and sunny.  Hope it hangs on for a few morre days.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

I just learned something from u. I have Garofalo Organic Spaghetti in my pantry - from Costco. It's 100% durum wheat semolina - made in Italy. I wondered why it looks different from other spaghetti.

Respected Contributor

When I've been doing my pickup orders, which I alternate between grocery store and Walmart, I've been trying to think ahead a few weeks about what items may be popular and in short supply. I know a few families that always include a seafood pasta dish as part of their Feast of the Seven Fish.