Honored Contributor

Re: Declining a wedding

[ Edited ]

@Johnnyeager wrote:

In some localities, such as NYS and NYC, the authorities request and rely on information from the public about knowledge of illegal, underground and/or non-compliant large gatherings.   This way they can investigate and shut down the location ahead of time.

Go right ahead and narc on your neighbors.  

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

In some localities, such as NYS and NYC, the authorities request and rely on information from the public about knowledge of illegal, underground and/or non-compliant large gatherings.   This way they can investigate and shut down the location ahead of time.

I am in New York and every night on the news there is another story about fining and shutting down a business. Great but what about there being some compensation for the owners of these businesses? They are unable to pay the rent and feed their families...

Trusted Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@DottieBlue wrote:

Why not ask the medical professionals at your local hospital if you should attend if you are still in doubt.....

@DottieBlue, from what I see on the news the medical professionals at my local hospitals are too busy for me to bother asking them anything. One more reason I don't need to go. 

@happycat 

Exactly my point.....

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I am in New York and every night on the news there is another story about fining and shutting down a business. Great but what about there being some compensation for the owners of these businesses? They are unable to pay the rent and feed their families...

Are you suggesting that the city that is fining the business should then also help the business pay their penalty? That wouldn't make any sense as a deterrent to irresponsible business decisions.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There really shouldn't be any question about 100 people attending a wedding & deciding to go or not go..  sorry it's a duh moment, don't go and be truthful, we choose to stay home because of covid..

and guilt, nope it's your decision and your lives.. I don't believe any Doctor's office, health department or anyone medical will encourage anyone to attend.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Are you suggesting that the city that is fining the business should then also help the business pay their penalty? That wouldn't make any sense as a deterrent to irresponsible business decisions.

What I am saying @Porcelain is that this is not as simple as closing the business. These business owners are closing one after another many never to return. Why there is no federal help bewilders me. The incentive for them to remain open is to feed their families and pay their rent. They are fighting for their lives in a sense.

It would be so easy for me to condemn them sitting here retired and comfortable. I can see their point of view, that's all....

Honored Contributor

The only scenario that would make sense to me for them to be ticked off about you not attending would be if you RSVP'd that you'd be there and then cancelled at the last minute (meaning they have paid for attendants who won't be there).   Even so, they need to get over it now because there are extenuating circumstances that make all the sense in the world to NOT attend.

Shy of that, well, they still need to get over it.   If there was no acceptance and then last minute cancellation there is no ground for anybody to be angry with you in the first place, IMO.

Stand on your ground and don't be swayed.  You are right here.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

I feel bad. A relative is getting married this weekend, we were invited. If it weren't for covid, I'd be there. There were 100 people invited to the wedding.

I told the mom of the groom, that we just weren't comfortable going, that I felt like it would be like playing russian roulette. That I would feel like a heel if I didn't go, but be irritated if I did go and got sick.

First time I have missed a family function, and now I'm second guessing my decicion. I know I made the right decision for my dh and myself though.

Has anyone else run into this? Now I feel like people are mad at me. The bridal couple are very sweet and I think the world of them, but I don't think they are taking covid seriously. 

@happycat 

It depends on several things, including the wheres and whens, etc ....  it might be worth considering stopping by her home a couple days before for a very short personal congrats, leaving your mask on, and then leave as quickly as you can.  That way, you "showed up" but avoided the crowd.

Mask   Mask   Mask

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Here we don't have regulations on how many can be at an event, none that get enforced anyway. It's a shame too, that nothing happens to people who are so careless and have such disregard for human life.

My son told me a little bit ago that a co worker of his in his early 50's died today of covid. I don't feel bad over not attending this wedding anymore. Just bad they decided to have it in the midst of a pandemic.

I hope you all stay safe and healthy. 

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

The only scenario that would make sense to me for them to be ticked off about you not attending would be if you RSVP'd that you'd be there and then cancelled at the last minute (meaning they have paid for attendants who won't be there).   Even so, they need to get over it now because there are extenuating circumstances that make all the sense in the world to NOT attend.

Shy of that, well, they still need to get over it.   If there was no acceptance and then last minute cancellation there is no ground for anybody to be angry with you in the first place, IMO.

Stand on your ground and don't be swayed.  You are right here.

I didn't RSVP,  as I was undecided on what I was going to do. At first the wedding was to be outside, and I thought dh and I may be able to attend and stay away from people. Now its suppose to rain, and be cold so they have moved it indoors, which I'm not doing. I did not realize until this past week that there were 100 people invited or I think I'd have said no way from the start.