Esteemed Contributor

Re: Debiting checking account for payments

@ccassaday wrote:

I don't see the big deal. Now days even when you write a physical check it is then done electronically. Unless it's a small mom and pop company. Write a check at kohls or target and anywhere else if is processed electronically. You do realize your bank and routing number is on your check also. So they have that information anyway.

I know!

All of this whining and angst!

*LOL*

As I said, if my 90 year old father can do automatic withdrawals with zero problems, and no worries, then it isn't a big deal.

Talk about making a mountain out of something that isn't even a molehill! *LOL*

Esteemed Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Ditzydori wrote:

Thanks ladies. 

I never thought of paying for the year. Brilliant idea. I'm going to ask her if they will allow that.  🙄🙄🙄. 

No, No, No, don't ask them, just do it.  Mail the check to them, I don't see how they can refuse it, after all, you are making a payment.

I would never prepay something like this a year in advance..although they would probably like the $$..what if things would change for you? & you would need a credit? No thanks..not for me.

If something happens and the house has to be sold most likely you would get a credit at closing when you sell. That happened to us when we sold our house in August.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SUHsE I have used my debit card on various web sites, and I have never been charged twice, ever, so if you are, I would begin to question your financial institution!

I have made purchases at Amazon, Macys LL Bean, Duluth Trading just to mention a few that I have shopped at, and I state AGAIN I have NEVER been charged twice!  Why would anyone  in their right mind hold up two amounts on their debit card until the vendor can can verify if the funds are available, that just sound obscene!  Maybe you have disposable income and can hold money for 3-5 days but I think most Americans cannot afford this when they use a debit card? With my debit card if the funds are not available, the purchase is declined, that is the only way it should be with all financial institutions, IMO!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ditzydori I was just thinking, can you pay with a money order, that is officially not a check, but you do have to take the time to go to the establishments where you purchase your money order, so if your time is limited? And money orders do cost you, around here it is only.50 cents which is a heck of a lot better than $5.00, Walmart sells money orders, most grocery stores, and even some gas stations.  For those that suggested to pay in cash, I would never do that, as someone stated things change, and I lived with an HOA and the president took off with all of the money leaving us homeowners high and dry, face it there are too many crooks in this world, that care nothing about your circumstances, sorry but it is true!

Super Contributor

Thanks carebears. Problem solved. no more whining from me. It's upsetting some posters. I'm just wondering why they even bothered to read my post if they thought it was whining.

I,look,at it as just conversation like we were all having a cup of tea at my kitchen table discussing different things.

People that consider it whining should find a something else to do other than read message boards on a shopping site. I would never insult people like some of these people do. But then again, it's easy to hide behind a keyboard.

Be well everyone and thanks for all your reply. Nice ones and not so nice. Have a blessed thanksgiving.

Problem solved. 😃😃😃😃

Respected Contributor

Ditzydori, you are thoughtful to try to put end to negativity. Just want you to know it’s an individual’s responsibility to be aware and head off problems. It’s become so common for companies to afk for all kinds of information- particularly social security numbers. Example- doctor. Long time ago I thought it was necessary and did that. No more. They don’t need it. Too many hands have access to files. The fewer the better. Paying on line is instigated by me. Account debit is instigated by others. Not where I want to go. Thanks for reminder
Trusted Contributor

I purchased a money order each month from the post office and presented them with the payment in person, watched them input it into their computer and waited for my receipt to print. Said thank you, see you next month.  Don't have an HOA now.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

I don't see the big deal. Now days even when you write a physical check it is then done electronically. Unless it's a small mom and pop company. Write a check at kohls or target and anywhere else if is processed electronically. You do realize your bank and routing number is on your check also. So they have that information anyway.

Yes, but a check is encoded at the receiving bank and then cleared through the Federal Reserve and then sent to your bank where it is cleared and where the check either remains or is returned to you in your statements.  That information IS NOT kept permanently in the computer system database of the receiving bank.  When you allow a creditor to set up a debit to your bank account that information is kept permanently in the database of the creditor so they can process the debit files on the stated day.  We all know how many large retailers and other vendors have allowed hackers to access their databases in the last few years.  You are way more likely to have your information stolen from a creditors database where they have your information permanently on file.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

Yes, but a check is encoded at the receiving bank and then cleared through the Federal Reserve and then sent to your bank where it is cleared and where the check either remains or is returned to you in your statements.  That information IS NOT kept permanently in the computer system database of the receiving bank.  When you allow a creditor to set up a debit to your bank account that information is kept permanently in the database of the creditor so they can process the debit files on the stated day.  We all know how many large retailers and other vendors have allowed hackers to access their databases in the last few years.  You are way more likely to have your information stolen from a creditors database where they have your information permanently on file.

When you right a check at Kohl's even at say 800 at night your check is out of your account the next morning. They don't go through all these hoops anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

Have always set up automatic debit with all the bills. Even after a move in August we have had no issues cancelling and starting them back again at the new place.  Not once after all these years has there been a mistake.