Super Contributor

Debiting checking account for payments

I just have a question. I was informed today that the only ways my HOA fee can be paid is thru a debit on my account, or a check with a $5.00 service fee. 

Formally i paid it thru my bank bill payments. 

In all my adult years I have never had anyone debit my account for payments of any kind. Unfortunately I'm very ****** about my accounts and how I pay my bills. I still balance my checkbook. 😳😳😳. Yes that's the truth. 😂😂😂. 

Unless I pay $5.00 extra each month that is way I now have to pay. 

My question is, is there any type of law or something that this goes against?  Believe it or not, I'm upset. I know it's trivial, but I'm not liking it. 

Any knowledge. Thanks. 

Super Contributor

Re: Debiting checking account for payments

Pay them in CASH!!!  They'll go crazy.  Or Pay the whole year with one check and only one $5.00 charge.

Honored Contributor

I'd be more upset over the $5 service fee than the auto debit.  You know it doesn't cost them $5 to process a check.  All this is for the HOA's convenience, not yours.  I've had auto debit on all my utility bills for years with no problem.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

It's legal.  They go into your checking account and get the payment.  No more hassling with checks going through a clearing house.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ditzydori I never give a company my checking acount or debit card to make automatic payments, I have had companies withdraw hundreds of dollars without my permission if fact they never even notified me, Dish Network was a nightmare!  Now if a company will only accept payment with a debit card, I tell them to take a hike!

Super Contributor

Thanks ladies. 

I never thought of paying for the year. Brilliant idea. I'm going to ask her if they will allow that.  🙄🙄🙄. 

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori  Don't ask them, just give them the check! No discussions, no nothing. And I also would, if pushed, pay a $5 fee rather than allow an HOA access to my funds.

Valued Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

I just have a question. I was informed today that the only ways my HOA fee can be paid is thru a debit on my account, or a check with a $5.00 service fee. 

Formally i paid it thru my bank bill payments. 

In all my adult years I have never had anyone debit my account for payments of any kind. Unfortunately I'm very ****** about my accounts and how I pay my bills. I still balance my checkbook. 😳😳😳. Yes that's the truth. 😂😂😂. 

Unless I pay $5.00 extra each month that is way I now have to pay. 

My question is, is there any type of law or something that this goes against?  Believe it or not, I'm upset. I know it's trivial, but I'm not liking it. 

Any knowledge. Thanks. 

we have paid our fees through an automatic debit for over 20 years.with no problems..always out by the 4th of the month with no fees.

if you trust your management company, & their bank, there should not be any problems with the debit & you can still put the payment in your check book register. 

Valued Contributor

I didn't like it at first eather, but many services now require it.  It saves everyone time and money.  Most Gov't and banks automatically deposit money in you account, does that bother you?  

Esteemed Contributor

@IdahoGram wrote:

Pay them in CASH!!!  They'll go crazy.  Or Pay the whole year with one check and only one $5.00 charge.

Love it.  Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam