Esteemed Contributor

Re: Debiting checking account for payments

@Ditzydori wrote:

Thanks ladies. 

I never thought of paying for the year. Brilliant idea. I'm going to ask her if they will allow that.  🙄🙄🙄. 

No, No, No, don't ask them, just do it.  Mail the check to them, I don't see how they can refuse it, after all, you are making a payment.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Valued Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Ditzydori wrote:

Thanks ladies. 

I never thought of paying for the year. Brilliant idea. I'm going to ask her if they will allow that.  🙄🙄🙄. 

No, No, No, don't ask them, just do it.  Mail the check to them, I don't see how they can refuse it, after all, you are making a payment.

I would never prepay something like this a year in advance..although they would probably like the $$..what if things would change for you? & you would need a credit? No thanks..not for me.

Honored Contributor

My HOA is just the opposite............they have an extra "service charge" for paying over the net.    Sooooooooooo...........I drive to the post office with a check in the mail.    Probably costs me more in gasoline.........but it's the principle.................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

My utilities company is just like that. They will only accept payments through debiting my bank account,  pay by cash or check...no cc or on-line payments are possible with them. I don't like having my bank account tapped into but I'm not driving clear across town to make payments in a busy downtown area with no free parking. 

Trusted Contributor

My HOA accepted payments locally until a new property manager was hired.  He convinced the board to change our Association banking to Arizona, with all payments to be made to a bank out there - we are on the East Coast.  As with you, there is a fee if paying online.  It is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.  Also, we have some elderly residents who do not have computers. I fear this property manager will convince the board to go paperless and online only. 

Esteemed Contributor

My 90 year old dad has all of his utilities automatically deducted from his checking account.

It saves him hassle of check writing.

If he can do it with no problems.......

Respected Contributor

My DD moved in first apartment and they also required access to pulling from checking account for rent or incurring extra fee. She was between rock and hard place. With all this cyber fraud it was putting her income in jeopardy. I think the cash idea is a great idea and wonder what they would say if a number of residents band together to do that. Otherwise lumping payments is also good. It will challenge their book work!!!
Honored Contributor

I don't like any company dipping into my checking account to deduct automatic payments on a regular monthly basis.  The more people that have access to your checking account, the more problems you can end up with.

I used to have a life insurance payment withdrawn from my checking account. That was fine until there was a glitch in their system and they pulled 4 payments out on 4 consecutive days.  That was the end of that. 

Trusted Contributor

I cannot even remember the last time I wrote a check to pay any bill, not one of them. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't allow any recurring payments or automatic payments to be deducted from any of our accounts, nor do I have any on our credit cards. 

I don't like anyone else having the ability to dip into our accounts.

The only places that have access is for the direct deposit of my Social Security and my husbands pension payment.  I'm not really crazy about that either, I'd rather have a paper check to deposit but we have no choice in those matters.