Respected Contributor

Re: Debiting checking account for payments

Ridiculous. Okay them in person in cashM I give no one our checking acct number. My best friend used to psy everything online until her account was hacked. What a mess. I pay by check. In order to have a pay pal account, I needed to give a bank acct number. No! So I opened a savings account at a different bank--.one that has very little in it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

Ridiculous. Okay them in person in cashM I give no one our checking acct number. My best friend used to psy everything online until her account was hacked. What a mess. I pay by check. In order to have a pay pal account, I needed to give a bank acct number. No! So I opened a savings account at a different bank--.one that has very little in it. 

You do realize your checking account and routing numbers are on your check. Whether you give them a physical check or set it up to automatically withdraw they are using the same information and doing it the exact same way. Most places stick your check in there and hand it back to you.  If you send a check to your utility company they are entering your account number on the check and doing it electronically just like a EFT.

Paying online also had the advantage of knowing exactly when you paid it. If you send a actual check and your payment gets messed up there is no proof you sent it in.

Esteemed Contributor

I do bill pay through my bank to vendors. I go online and make each payment and then my bank sends the payment to each vendor. I do not and would not allow a vendor to do automatic debit payments with my account. Most companies are on the up and up but mistakes do happen and I just prefer to do the bill pay where I control it and don't have to worry about a company having access to my account. You do have protections but why would I want to give anyone access when I can be the one who pays them and not have them take it out?

I can remember working part time at a collection agency in the early 90's and they used to talk debtors into doing automatic debit. I had never heard of it before I worked there. They had so many complaints because debtors would agree to a certain amount and they would at times take more. Sometimes much more. After I left they had a class action law suit filed against them and lost. I am sure there are more protections in place than there were back then but I just prefer not to do that and my husband who works in finance would probably freak if I ever told him I set up automatic debit payments. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

You do realize your checking account and routing numbers are on your check. Whether you give them a physical check or set it up to automatically withdraw they are using the same information and doing it the exact same way. Most places stick your check in there and hand it back to you.  If you send a check to your utility company they are entering your account number on the check and doing it electronically just like a EFT.

Paying online also had the advantage of knowing exactly when you paid it. If you send a actual check and your payment gets messed up there is no proof you sent it in.

Yes, people can get your routing and account number from your check but you need to give them authorization to do automatic debits. The bank doesn't just let people who happen to have that info do automatic debits. They need clearance by the bank to do so. I get the advantage of knowing exactly when I paid by doing bill pay, which I control.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

CareBears wrote:

@Ditzydori I hope you are not taking it personally, some people are not happy unless they are trying to make someone else miserable, I posted a recipe not too long ago  breakfast caserole, and someone replied stating they they did not like breakfast casserole, then why did she even open the link, some people need a life!  I understood your frustration, as I have had money taken directly from our account without our permislon, those who have not do not understand how that feels, but those who have, have every reason to be frustrated, hope you continue on the forums not everybody is negative!  good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving!

@CareBears, well said and so true!

I hope yHeartu have a happy holiday!

Respected Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@ccassaday

It's a matter of authorization.

Trusted Contributor

LibbyAnnE wrote:

@libbyannE, this is a great suggestion!

Trusted Contributor

@Ditzydori, I had thought about a Cashier's Check.  However, after reading a post by @libbyannE, she had a really good suggestion:

Create a separate bank account.

Perhaps, you could set up an account with your bank or a Credit Union, just for the HOA and only keep a small amount in that account, just enough to either pay for the whole year or if you must pay each month.

~~~

I hope this might help you.

Have a good holiday.

Honored Contributor

@mzlg wrote:

@Ditzydori, I had thought about a Cashier's Check.  However, after reading a post by @libbyannE, she had a really good suggestion:

Create a separate bank account.

Perhaps, you could set up an account with your bank or a Credit Union, just for the HOA and only keep a small amount in that account, just enough to either pay for the whole year or if you must pay each month.

~~~

I hope this might help you.

Have a good holiday.

The only thing about opening a separate account is that most banks require a minimum balance or they start charging a monthly fee for falling below that balance and some of them don't link your other accounts that you have with them.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter, Yes, thank you for pointing that out, because that may be true for most banks.

~

That is why I also included a Credit Union.  There are quite a few that do not require a large amount to start or to keep in the account - at least that is true for my various Credit Union accounts.  Also, none my Credit Union accounts charges any fees - except to purchase my order of checks when I need them.

~

Hopefully, @Ditzydori, will check this possibility of a Credit Union account, in order to assist her in her HOA situation.

~

Have a good day.