Super Contributor

Orioles Pitcher Jim Palmer met his last wife in the produce aisle of the grocery store!

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

Don't know whatever happened to the old-fashioned way of meeting up with people, including the one person who might turn out to be special.

It  used to happen not by sitting in front of a computer and logging into dating websites.  

Might be more rewarding to join and actively particpate in a social or special-interest group,  a church group, a charitable organization, or  it could happen during a chance meeting  at the library, or a civic meeting, or in an elevator.

Too many creeps are on the other side of our computer screens  these days to be able to fully trust even one of them.

Those same creeps show up in daily life too...that’s what my son says.He met his wife on a dating site.

Super Contributor

Re: Dating scams

[ Edited ]

I’m always out. I’m never home. Church groups galore, dances, movies, gym classes,

In a little I’m going to rehearse for a nativity production at my church.

I’m out there. Always try to look my best. But nada. But I know in Gods time and His will.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dating scams

[ Edited ]

I met my husband in a high-rise apartment building elevator on the way to a party. 

I had a date with a person he knew, and he was with a woman my date knew, so while those two were talking outside of the elevator, DH pulled me back in the elevator to talk as the elevator descended many floors and left the others behind.

The rest is history.  

I didn't like my date, anyway.  I didn't ditch him that night and didn't even really think DH was anything to get serious about, but I liked DH much better than my date.  LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

A coworker was taken in for almost a year, he was supposedly a military man, who then was sent to Africa and then Russia. She was sent money to her account from all sorts of relatives and friends that she then sent somewhere via western union. She finally figured she was being duped. You’d think she’d learn, nope. She is now seeing some guy from the US but he just had to go to Dubai. She gave him access to her account. Recently her account is frozen and there’s an investigation. You were smart to remove yourself from that man. 

Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:
Are you kidding. I’m ALWAYS out. I’m never home. Church groups galore, dances, movies, gym classes,

In a little I’m going to rehearse for a nativity production at my church.

I’m out there. Always try to look my best. But nada. But I know in Gods time and His will.

Your next partner is worth the wait.

Best wishes in your search.

But I do have a suggestion, please don't take it the wrong way.

If you appear to be looking, you may be scaring off the good guys.

Honored Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

A coworker was taken in for almost a year, he was supposedly a military man, who then was sent to Africa and then Russia. She was sent money to her account from all sorts of relatives and friends that she then sent somewhere via western union. She finally figured she was being duped. You’d think she’d learn, nope. She is now seeing some guy from the US but he just had to go to Dubai. She gave him access to her account. Recently her account is frozen and there’s an investigation. You were smart to remove yourself from that man. 

@qvcfreak  - it's hard to believe that your friend would give someone access her personal account.  That's absurd and asking for trouble. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have never been on a dating website, as I married when I was a child and we are still together, lol.

But, it sounds like you handled this well and didn't fall for his line.

To me, thats the important thing, so if you are being hard on yourself, please don't. You didn't do anything wrong, you weren't out any money, unless it was to join this site and I doubt it was much. I think you did good. Its sad that so many people cannot be trusted. It has nothing to do with you.

A family memeber has recently, maybe 2 months, joined a dating website and met someone. The man she has met does seem very nice and seems to have it all together, but who knows? People can fool us all.

Esteemed Contributor

@San Antonio Gal , She gave him more than that. Her social, drivers license, DOB. She was lead to believe he was going to add her to his life insurance. We told her not to but she did. She feels horrible and she doesn’t say much to us anymore but we are in an open area and you can hear her conversations with the bank. 

Honored Contributor

If I were single I would be scared to death to meet someone this way. I know lots of people do it, but I wouldn't be one of them