Esteemed Contributor

Anybody NOT Going To Decorate/Celebrate the For The Holidays?

I know that there are people who love the holidays, and live for them.

They get all wrapped up in the lights, decorations, and festivities.

If that's you, then enjoy yourself! Have fun!  Live it up!Woman Happy

I wish that I could be one of those people, but I'm not.

I have tried, but I just see it as being "forced" and "fake", for a lack of better words.

With this being my first holidays completely on my own, with no family, I honestly just want to hibernate, and wake up on December 26.

I want to just skip Thanksgiving and X-mas altogether.

Anybody else feel the same way?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Anybody NOT Going To Decorate/Celebrate the For The Holidays?

I hear ya @Anonymous032819 .

I would love to skip Thanksgiving, but I do LOVE Christmas.

Hang in there sugar..........

Frequent Contributor

Yes. Ever since my husband passed almost 2 years ago. It's torture for me.

Honored Contributor

Yes, @Anonymous032819 ,  me too.  I used to love decorating for Christmas but I'm alone here with my dogs, the family being in Pennsylvania.   I haven't been there for over 4 years at Christmas.  So the holidays are just another day for me, nothing special.  I daresay there are many of us who will be alone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 ,

I've lived across the country from family for over 40 years. 

I learned to make my own traditions for holidays. I found a great group of friends who are like family to me. 

The first year or two was kind of tough, but it's become  better and better every year. Now, I prefer having my own celebrations.  

Open yourself up to possibilities. I know you will find your way.

Super Contributor

I am looking forward to just relaxing and doing nothing for the Thanksgiving holiday. Told my family no gathering at my place for Thanksgiving or Christmas. My husband is also looking forward to just relaxing. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

For years I loved to decorate for Christmas - inside & outside.  I enjoyed shopping for gifts and even sent out Christmas cards.  I have now reached a stage in life where I no longer belong on a ladder, so I eliminated decorating completely and re-homed all my holiday decor.  I now enjoy the beauty of all the decorations others put up and I appreciate it so much more now that I no longer do it myself.  Shopping is no longer something I enjoy, so I have managed to cut back and have now phased out all gift giving and am so much happier.  Sending cards were eliminated a while ago and am happy to see the inbound cards have diminished.  Now, the holiday season for me is about seeing friends, enjoying the beauty of the season and making memories.  Oh how I wish I had made these changes earlier, but am so glad I eventually did.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

I usually skip them in the past and just watch my DVD of the Yule Log, but this holiday season I'll be gathering with the few family members who are in my area. For a variety of reasons, it's probably the last Thanksgiving and Christmas we'll spend together, and I'd like it to be a good memory for all of us. But it's really about the getting together, with minimalist decorations and idiosyncratic foods because everyone's on different regimens.

I bought a $15 tree on QVC for our Christmas dinner, which will be in a temporary office, and "as is" fairy lights. That and a Christmas tablecloth are the extent of the decorating. We'll have Christmas music thanks to CDs and an old boom box. I'm really excited about putting together the stockings, full of practical things like vegetable brushes, paring knives, stamps, flashlights, and soap--goat soap for the health vegan and bona fide vegan dish soap for the principled vegan. I won't be crushed if they're not thrilled, but I know they'll use everything. Plus real prezzies, of course.

So for once I'm looking forward to it, but I really understand wanting to check out.

Honored Contributor

I love that my daughters are adults now, and have no interest in decorating every interior surface of this house.  

I love that we can hang our big wreath outside and a garden flag and call our outdoor decorating complete, and do close to the same thing inside with just enough of our favorite pieces to show it’s Christmas.   We gift very simply, and share a simple meal with my small family on Christmas Day.    

Honored Contributor

I have a big family and we spend holidays together, so,I am not lonely. I have never been a fan of Christmas and wish I could just skip it.

The whole thing is a made up retailers dream to separate us from our money.  I don't buy it.  Two years ago, I cried the whole time while trimming the tree..I hate doing it that much.  I told my DH that if he wants a decorated tree, he could put one up...so far he hasn't.

It seems kinda silly to me.  Way too much work, mess, money, and hoopla and it's all over in a day.  

i'd love to go on vacation and come back after January 1st.