Super Contributor

First let me say I’ve off loaded the dating app off my phone. It hasn’t been a good experience for me at all.

I’m widowed 2 1/2 years and am ready to move forward. Meeting someone where I live wasn’t happening so upon a whim I joined a dating site. Very big mistake.

Now maybe some have been lucky in meeting mr wonderful but all I met were 2 scammers and a s..x maniac who on the first and ONLY date tried to touch my br....sts.

I’m DONE. If I stay single for the rest of my life so be it because I am blessed with a good life.

One scammer was very obvious so the communication didn’t last long. But the second had and still has me perplexed.

He was a very nice, well spoken “Christian” man. We communicated for about a little, him sending me screen shots of him and his collegues at a meeting and of himself. I check his photos by doing a reverse image search and all was clear.

Then he went on a business trip to cypress and said we would be able to continue to communicate over what’s app, which we did. He continued to send screenshots and our convos were great. His goal was to return in one month. We Skyped several times. He was who he said he was and he was where he said he was. I know. I checked.

Then all of a sudden he was so upset and said they stole his wallet. 😳😳😳. His id and black
Card were stolen. Said they suspended his account and had no access to his money. Yea right.

Anyway I blocked him and off loaded the app. That was more than I could handle. I reported him to the dating site.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them. I feel like a fool even though nothing happened. But he really took me in. I was so attracted to him and couldn’t wait to meet him. The Skyping has convinced me he was who he said he was and then wham.

What guts this man had. Usually from what I read about dating scams they are usually from Nigeria and the victim never sees them.

To tell you the truth. This scared me. He doesn’t have any personal info except my telephone number which is enough.

Anyone care to share your experiences to help me feel better about myself?

Thanks ladies.

Respected Contributor

Don’t feel bad about yourself, he’s the creep. You were not taken in...you responded in a kind friendly manner and kept your wallet closed and reacted appropriately when the red flags appeared. I think you outsmarted someone who seems to have perfected their con game. Good on you!

Respected Contributor

Also want to add that I am sorry you have had these bad dating experiences. 

Respected Contributor

Never used a dating app, but met my husband on match.com 16 years ago. As have several other people I know. Yes, you do have to weed through several and not all experiences will be great.  But it was worth it to me.My friend met her husband on eharmony.com

Good luck in your search.

Honored Contributor

I would be terrified of all dating apps, but a dear friend of mine found a perfect match for him a few years ago.  I know it was one of the two sites already mentioned, but I don't remember which one.  I consider them very lucky in finding each other.

You might have better luck finding a friend at the grocery, church or thru a friend.  For some reason friends love to match people up.  Good luck and keep keeping both eyes open.  

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

You shouldn't feel bad about yourself at all, you smart enough to avoiding blundering into a hot mess and you didn't let yourself be taken advantage of.  It's hard for women who are looking for a guy.  I've been married forever so I have no experience in dating apps, I'm not sure what a dating app is, to tell the truth.  I do have a single friend and I do have friends who dated after their divorces.  All of them met and dated men they met through the site that "matches" people and the one that is "harmonious".  One met her husband that way.  They had some bad dates but I think that's to be expected.  No different than meeting someone through friends or out and about; you aren't going to be a match for every man you go to dinenr with.  It sounds to me that they type things and scams you are talking don't happen or are less likely to happen through those professional sites that you pay a fee for and that run commercials on tv.  

Respected Contributor

plenty of scammers out there.  not only on dating aps.  but at church, gyms, etc.   they are everywhere they think there is a woman with means they can con.

trust ur gut.

i run the other way when any topic or issue of money starts.   or if they are overly interested in talking about my houses, cars or jewelry etc.  

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Esteemed Contributor

If they aren't interested in the money, then they are being sleezy, and hitting on you for sex.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Super Contributor
Chrystallytree. I did pay. For 6 months. I had hopes. I still had another month to go. But I need to take a break. Maybe after the first of the year I’ll try eharmony. The one I joined was ZOOSK. Oh well. Lesson learned.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dating scams

[ Edited ]

@TheMemphisVette 

Exactly!  I never understand how and I never have sympathy for those women who are scammed out of money from online dating because I cannot even begin to understand how the subject of money ever comes up in such circumtances.  Who in their right mind would talk to some joker about their money and assets....much less lend this person they don't even know money.  Once the subject turned to money; his or mine; it would be over. Done.  Fini.  Cause I know what the story is here.