Respected Contributor

I personally would never drop in at any family or friends. But I would not mind drop ins from good friends.  If it was a bad time or if it was someone I did not care to see, I would not open the door.

My family is a different story.  They are more than welcome at my house at any time of day or night!  Heck, my daughters all have keys and garage door openers!  They know this is their house for life!🤣🤣

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

My feeling is --- NO --- just NO!  I wouldn't do to that to anyone -- and I don't want anyone doing that to me!  

Even when I used to go and visit my Mother all the time, I always called first.  

People were always dropping in at my Mother's house constantly without calling or letting her know.  Usually it was around dinner time and they knew this.  But there were many times when she and I had plans and were preparing to go some place and they would show up and my dear Mother, who was so kind hearted, would not turn them away.  

I think it is very rude and inconsiderate.  How do you know what someone has planned for their day?  They could be feeling unwell -- they could have plans to have other company -- they could have plans to go some place -- they could have plans to clean or do other projeccts, etc., etc.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Neither my friends nor my family do drop-ins. It's rude.

One Saturday my mom who lived 15 miles away decided to pull one of her stunts and try this with us. (No, she wasn't a nice or kind person).

We saw her park her car, grabbed our jackets and our son and when she knocked my dh said "Sorry, we're on our way out. You need to call first."

She tried to stop us but we went to the car and went to Denny's for lunch!

We explained to our son who was about 9 that it's rude to do that and that grandma didn't have good manners.

When my mom was alive, she was always welcomed at my home with or without invitation.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

One Saturday my mom who lived 15 miles away decided to pull one of her stunts and try this with us. (No, she wasn't a nice or kind person).

We saw her park her car, grabbed our jackets and our son and when she knocked my dh said "Sorry, we're on our way out. You need to call first."

We explained to our son who was about 9 that it's rude to do that and that grandma didn't have good manners.

When my mom was alive, she was always welcomed at my home with or without invitation.

@San Antonio Gal 

I would never turn my mother away ever.  

I can't imagine leaving as my mother was pulling up.  

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 ............not everyone had a nice, good and kind mother.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

My son knows he doesn't need to call first. My parents and my sister never needed to call first either.

Anyone else, I want a phone call before you come. I don't  just drop in on others, the exception was my parents, their kids and grandkids were always welcome without a call first.

A few times when Mom and Dad were alive DH and I decided to surprise them. It was 2 hrs.one way. I could have given my parents a million dollars and they wouldn't have been as happy as when we showed up unexpectedly.

I  won the parent lottery and my late DH agreed. He loved my parents and they thought the world of him.

Valued Contributor

I have an open door policy for children, although they are all now adults.  My nieces, nephews, and my son's friends.  If they are ever in need or just need some place without pressures my home is their home.  

Valued Contributor

@BoopOMatic wrote:

I wouldn't have done that in front of your son. He probably felt sorry for your Mother.

She may have been a bit rude to just drop in, but your behavior was mean IMO.

Not everyone has a good, nice, kind, etc mom.  I wouldn't have even gone to the door for my mom.  

Trusted Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Bri369 ............not everyone had a nice, good and kind mother.

Of course they didn't, but it's not good behavior to model in front of the little boy.

He will see it's okay to judge your parent and treat them accordingly.

Even if the parent was mean, two wrongs don't make a right and the example set for this little boy will come back to bite them.

Valued Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I don't mind drop-ins.  Everyone who knows me has seen me without makeup.  They've seen me in my jammies past noon.  They've had to lift their feet for the Roomba.  I no longer have PMS, so it's safe..... 

@Lucky Charm Too funny!!!!