Super Contributor
My husband tells me about his drop in aunt and family. When he was a child they would come by an dinner time. They expected a meal. They did this several times until his dad suggested they go to a restaurant and pay for their separate families. No more drop in dinner guests.
Esteemed Contributor

My two children can come anytime they want. I work from home, and they know how to navigate around me without interrupting what I am doing.

As for anyone else, no I don’t want anyone stopping by without calling or a text.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Growing up we did not think dropping in on someone was rude, or did we consider it rude when some one "stopped by".  It was normal back then, at least in my area.

I dont understand why anyone would think friends dropping in would be rude.

@Imaoldhippie 

Well, first of all, the question is WHY are friends "dropping in"?   To visit?  To expect to be fed?  They are bored and expect you to entertain them? 

Why would any decent person with manners ever do that?  

Why would they impose without at least calling first?  There's a thing called cell phones which enable people to politely call and check first.

As for when we were growing up .... in that era most women were stay at home moms, so perhaps they were grateful for the reprieve.

Not any more.   It's just dammm rude to show up on someone's door step without calling first.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 ...............My friends and I dropped in on each other simply because we wanted to visit and see each other.  We had no ulterior motives.

Your anger over my opinion certainly speaks volumes, wow.!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

@ID2   We were not eavesdropping.  The woman was not exactly using her "inside voice ".  She was loud and directly behind me  - booth with back to back seats.  It was impossible not to hear the convo.  

Honored Contributor

Re: DROP INS…

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie 

???  I wasn't angry over your comment.  

My mother (and our extended family) was always a stickler for good manners.

While there are always exceptions, to have someone just assume it's okay to just show up at someone's home with no regard for the fact that they might be busy ... or have plans.   Who does that?  

Trusted Contributor

Geesh.  Our house is open for any of our friends to drop by.  Anytime.  It happens often.  We never thought of it as being rude even before we retired.  We enjoy our friends.   DW

Honored Contributor

This has never bothered me at any stage of my life.  I'm not going to "pretty up" myself or my home any more if I know someone is coming.  I'm the same all the time, my house is the same all the time.  

If the Governor of WV pulled into my driveway right now, I'd open the door without hesitation, and offer him a bowl of white chili and a grilled cheese sandwich, as well as a treat for his dog, who is usually with him.  

Honored Contributor

Women can indeed be nasty, catty and mean spirted to their "friends". I can honestly say that none or my friends or even my family members have ever just dropped in on me. Of course I don't so it. It's just not done anymore. Perhaps because we all have cell phones so there is never a time when drops by announced because the "are in the neighborhood".

Respected Contributor

I do not mind drop-ins. Everyone is welcome.