Trusted Contributor

Do you like your friends to drop in on you? I did not include family, because family dynamics can be complicated and fits in a different category.

I have never dropped  in on any of my friends.  If I show up it's because I have been invited and I am expected.  It's just the polite thing to do and being respectful of people's privacy and time.  By the same token I do not like people to drop in on me, and no one has, yet.

DH and I went out to lunch, and we were seated at a booth.  Two ladies had the booth behind me.  They spoke quite loudly so I could not help but overhear the conversation.  One of the ladies mentioned to the other lady that she liked to drop in on another lady, the name was mentioned, so I am assuming, at the very least that this person is an acquaintance.  The reason given.... you won't believe this!

"She is always so put together, I like to catch her looking like ****.  End of quote!  Could not believe my ears! I admit my thoughts were not very kind.  

I did not hear what the other lady said because DH was talking and asked if he heard right.  Then he just shook his head and asked why are some women so petty.  Good question! 

So, how do you feel about drop ins?

Valued Contributor

I had an Aunt that used to love to just drop in..It was always like an inspection!..Sometimes I just didn't open the door...LOL

Honored Contributor

My friends don't drop in on me and I return the favor.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

My friends and I have a deal:  I don't visit without calling first, and neither do they.  This makes for more pleasant interactions,

Honored Contributor

Neither my friends nor my family do drop-ins. It's rude.

One Saturday my mom who lived 15 miles away decided to pull one of her stunts and try this with us. (No, she wasn't a nice or kind person).

We saw her park her car, grabbed our jackets and our son and when she knocked my dh said "Sorry, we're on our way out. You need to call first."

She tried to stop us but we went to the car and went to Denny's for lunch!

We explained to our son who was about 9 that it's rude to do that and that grandma didn't have good manners.

Respected Contributor

Not a fan of drop-ins of any kind and I don't feel obligated to open the door.

Respected Contributor

I only have had this happen once years ago an uncle stopped by but this was way before cell phones so I gave him a pass.  We lived out of town from him and he was in our town to visit his ex...when I told my mom he stopped by she said hmmmmm.

Honored Contributor

I don't like the drop in. I feel it's inconsiderate, almost like a gotcha. I like a little notice to have myself and my apartment presentable. 

Honored Contributor

NEVER!!  That's what phones are for. 

I could never drop in on someone, nor do I ever want someone to do that to me.  It's rude and inconsiderate.

Valued Contributor

We drop in on my Mother--in-law, but she has an open door policy with all the family.  

If we were in the vicinity and she found out, we'd be in hot water for not stopping by, even at our age.  Other than her, absolutely no drop ins.