Trusted Contributor

No Doctor can be knowledgeable on everything, so he has a specialty, for Dr. Oz its the heart, I think if I ever needed a heart surgeon he would be at the top of my list, his TV show is to educate, entertain and bring on products that are new, I don't get the opinion he is endorsing any of them that's up too you, my Doctor says none of the supplements do anything but take your money, except for vitamins and calcium. You have to watch what you eat, practice control and above all exercise.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/8/2014 Craftie said:

No Doctor can be knowledgeable on everything, so he has a specialty, for Dr. Oz its the heart, I think if I ever needed a heart surgeon he would be at the top of my list, his TV show is to educate, entertain and bring on products that are new, I don't get the opinion he is endorsing any of them that's up too you, my Doctor says none of the supplements do anything but take your money, except for vitamins and calcium. You have to watch what you eat, practice control and above all exercise.

sorry, it printed after I made a change twice!

Esteemed Contributor

I use to watch him and have respect for him. The show started to take all kinds of twists and turns perhaps to keep the audience interested. I no longer watch him.

Occasional Contributor

I think he is a complete hack who gives people dangerous information just to make money. All those diet aids and fat burners are a complete waste of money and can be harmful as well. Maybe he should just stick to helping people through his medical practice.

Trusted Contributor

At one point he said Gouda and other similar cheeses would help prevent cancer because they contain Vitamin K2. However, info from the American Cancer Society says there was a study that suggested K2 could help prevent new or recurrence of cancer but other later studies were inconclusive. There are other studies going on now to see if K2, combined with chemo, helps treat cancer.

Also he said that skim milk has a higher concentration of sugar because when you remove the fat all you are left with is sugar. However, several other sources from nutritionists and MDs say that isn't true at all. When the fat is removed and you compare 1 cup of whole milk, 2%, & skim you end up with exact same number of grams of sugar, carbs, & protein. Skim has much less cholesterol than the other two. And, of course, the calories are much reduced in skim. So his info doesn't add up. I looked at four different brands of milks and did my own comparison and came up with the same thing. Skim is much better for you. And while Skim does have a higher percentage of calories from sugar you are getting the exact same sugar grams so the % doesn't matter in this case.

Sorry to be so long winded to get to the point that he may be quite knowledgeable about some things but he clearly gets it wrong on others. Frankly I don't take advice from a TV doctor without verifying it from several other sources.

Respected Contributor

Any of those people that go on TV are bought and paid for IMO. If you took half of what he recommends you'd need 3 jobs. I tried watching a few shows, just his opening lines are pretty over dramatized.

Made up, but not far off.

''Do you have a hangnail, you may have heart disease!"

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

Dr. Oz performed a mitral valve replacement on my mother in 2005. He literally saved her life. If it has not been for him we would have lost her in 2005. But she lived another 4 years. My brother is an anesthesiologist. He personally met with Dr. Oz before Mom's surgery. He also has some colleagues who worked with Dr. Oz. Their opinion is that he is a phenomenal cardiac surgeon. BUT many of the things that he comes up with on his show just are not accurate. This is not my opinion. It is the opinion of other physicians.

Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.huh}I find his show has become a burlesque act. I see his gimmicks, audience participation and testimonials have turned me totally off to his expertise. I used to admire his demeanor and knowledge, and still believe he is a wonderful cardio doctor, but the show has taken on a comedy twist that is unsavory. Sorry, Dr Oz, tell Oprah this is not working - Nate Berkus was great at the beginning, and he too is now off the air, and Dr Phil, well, enough said....

Valued Contributor

I always wonder how he can devote all day to a TV program and still do heart operations at a hospital. The TV program and the heart program can take all day for a doctor, so he can't do both justice. He is a quack!!

Esteemed Contributor

sarpy ... when it comes to cardiac surgery he is most certainly not a quack. See my post above. I do not think he is devoting too much time to his medical practice any more..... he is making much more money with the TV show.