Super Contributor

‘We are planning on going to DIsneyworld in JAN 2019.  Looking to find a two bedroom 

hotel/condo reasonable priced. I was hoping to stay on Disney property but prices are extremely high. Family of four going. 

Tips on DIsneyworld would be great. I’m using points to pay for the plane tickets.

transportation might be using Uber to get to Disney instead of a car rental. 

Thank you

Regular Contributor

You might want to look at the Disney resort hotel villas since you want two rooms. We've stayed at a few of them and have been very happy particularly because of the proximity to the parks (the advantage of staying on-site). You will also get extra magic hours if you stay on a Disney property. Disney does have deals and some of them include the Villas so you could save some money there. Just be on the lookout for package deals on their website. Whatever you decide, hope you have a great time!!

Respected Contributor

Wish I had advice on where to find a condo. We are going this fall, but we always stay on Disney property. For us the convenience is worth the cost. 

It’s usually much cheaper to rent a car at an off site location instead of the airport. Those Uber trips will get pricey.

Honored Contributor

I would definitely stay on site.  In January there should be good deals.  We have stayed at the All Star resorts, Disney's cheapest, and they were fine.  The extra cost of the rooms will offset what you would need for transportation to/from the hotels not to mention the convenience.

Respected Contributor

Pre-buy your park tickets on line before you go.  No cost savings, but it will save hassle and time once you get to the park.

Check on your hotel's shuttle services.  Many offer shuttles to the park.  (I was just there, and was pleasantly surprised to see that our little hotel offered free shuttles.)

Like outlet shopping?  There are two centers in Orlando, right on International Drive (the main tourist route).

Speaking of International Drive, there is a free shuttle going up and down all day long.

(Every free service is worth it, given how much you'll spend on Disney tickets.)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Re: DIsneyworld trip help

[ Edited ]

I live close enough to commute to Disney but I was talking to a family waiting in line and he informed me that it was cheaper for a family to stay in Disney than to get housing outside.  You pay... rent, car rental, gas, insurance, parking and a lot that we don't normally think to include.  He said that from a hotel, you just walk into the lobby and get on the tram and can go back to your room and rest without wasting so much time and having to pay parking again. 

He said they had done both and on site is actually cheaper and much more convenient.  

I don't know they handled food but I'm sure the Disney site will tell you.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely try and stay on Disney property. As mentioned by others, in the end it will be cheaper than paying every time you need a car or parking, etc. Have a great time!

Respected Contributor

Re: DIsneyworld trip help

[ Edited ]

Firestripes, There are six or seven hotels near the Disney Springs area (which used to include Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island).  They are cheaper than the Disney World resorts located near the parks and should be a good deal in Jan, which (if the weather isn't cold, as it sometimes is) is a nicely uncrowded time to be at Disney World. Even the Park resort prices plunge in this slower season so they are worth checking.

In Disney Springs, Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista is called an "official" Disney resort and should have more frequent shuttle service.  It is across the Street from one entrance to the shopping part of Disney Springs. I saw a rate there of ("from $109) just now.  The other hotels include a Hilton, a Doubletree. a Best Western and a Holiday Inn. Several have free breakfasts. It's a good compromise in being just next to a Disney property but not as costly as the official resorts near the parks.  I've stayed at All Stars and have had a great time.  It's around $150 for me most seasons, but I live in FL and residents have access to discounts.

My brother rented a house recently to take his grandkids to DW, and the rental price was very reasonable, but as an earlier poster also reported, parking was more expensive (and constant driving back and forth much more exhausting) than he had anticipated.

Mousesavers is a great internet site for bargain hunters---I never book without checking out their updated info.  Highly recommend that you check it out.

Honored Contributor

@Beautiful life. You may also want to post this on the Travel Forum. I think you will receive a lot of suggestions there as well.......

Respected Contributor

There is a transportation service from the airport to hotels.  It is called MEARS.   You might want to look into that rather than a car rental.  Car rentals in Orlando are relatively inexpensive, but you will pay $20 every time you park your car at the parks.

There are resorts that offer shuttle to the parks.  STAR ISLAND  is one I know of and they have 2 bedroom units.  Staying on Disney property is always easier because they all offer transportation.

We live in the area and I can tell you January is a chilly month here.  Be sure you have a light javket with you or you will find yourself buying a sweatshirt at Disney prices.

Enjoy.